Prolgoue

I wanted to rewrite this story and try something different. It will also help me keep to a storyline. Enjoy!

Raccoon City, Wednesday, September 23, 1998

Claire's POV

It all started when my brother went missing. Said he'd be going off to Europe to investigate a local pharmaceutical company called Umbrella. Me? I had just left my college campus hoping to find him. Following some clues, I was led to Raccoon City. Stopping at a Mizoli gas station, I checked my pockets for some change before using the payphone.

After calling one of my friends, I heard a crash in the store. Hanging up, I decided to investigate. Slowly opening the door, I look down to see a flashlight on the ground. Picking it up, I move further inside, using my new toy to shine light into the darker spaces of the building. As I look down the long aisles, I notice quite a bit of blood on the floor. Not long after, I spotted the employee of the gas station.

Why were all the lights off? I though to myself.

I stopped right next to him and look into the room. "Are you okay?" He weakly raises his hand and points to the empty doorway as he holds his bloody wound. Shining a light into the darkness, I say, "wait here. I'll check it out."

I enter the hallway and shine the light further down, hearing strange growling noises as who I can presume to be the officer grunts in frustration. The door behind slowly shuts causing me to panic a bit. Rushing to the door, I try to open it, only to find it to be locked from the other side.

"Hey! What the hell!"

Turning back to the hallway, I decide to press on. Coming to an open door, I find the sheriff trying to cuff someone: a man covered in blood as well as the source of the growling.

"I said, hold still!"

"Excuse me, is everything okay?" I ask with concern.

The sheriff turns around and shouts, "stay back, ma'am. I got this."

The man somehow flipped the sheriff onto his back before ripping into his throat with his teeth.

"GET OFF!" I shout as the sheriff screams in agony. "I said, GET OFF HIM!"

The sheriff goes limp as part of his esophagus is ripped from his neck, the tendons and tissue snapping from the tension. The zombie slowly lifts his head up, its glazed pale blue-white eyes catching me in its gaze. I point the gun at the zombie, taking aim with both the revolver in my hand and the flashlight in the other.

"Don't come any closer!"

I fire three bullets into his head. Horrified, I almost start having a panic attack. However, I quickly come back to reality, watching his body hit the ground. Taking a moment to calm down, I run to the corner of the room and grab the key. Walking toward the bodies, I put a bullet in theirs heads and run into the hallway.

Unlocking the door, I hear a strange yet animalistic groan coming from the rest of the store. Opening my eyes, I spot the employee from earlier lumbering toward me. Flashing the light in his face, I see that his eyes have glazed over and his lips are covered in blood. Quickly, I rush past him, making my way toward the door. As I get closer, it flings open and a man with a gun enters, shouting, "get down."

Ducking, I watch him kill one of the things behind me. Turning the dead man, I breathe a sigh of relief.

"We gotta get outta here!" I bark.

When we leave the store, I turn to my savior to hear him ask, "you alright?"

"Yeah, I think so, thanks."

"You can thank me later. When we're safe."

Hearing the snarling groans, I turn to see many more people like the ones inside. We rush toward the car, pushing one of the creatures to the ground in the process. Taking a seat and shutting the car door, I strap in my seat belt and watch as we take off.

"The fuck have I gotten myself into?"