Pieces Lost, Unnecessary but Broken

Claire awoke in a warm bed, wearing a white hospital gown. Her sight was hazy, her body still half asleep. As she found herself more and more awake, she began to look around the room. Turning to her right, she saw to Sherry and Leon sitting nextto her, Sherry laying on top of her, holding her tightly.

Not wanting to disturb the young traumatized Birkin, Claire decided to rest a for a moment, trying to go over what had happened. The last thing she'd remembered was passing out on the train. Her questions would be answered later as Sherry had opened her eyes and was gazing into her own soft blue orbs.

"Hey, Sherry," Claire whispered softly, her lips etching into a smile.

"Hey, Claire. How are you feeling?" Sherry whispered.

"Like I've been hit by a bus."

Sherry giggled.

"So, Sherry. What's the first thing you wanna do when we get out of here?"

Sherry thought about it for a moment before she smiled.

"I want to see where you live."

Claire smiled softly, her pale hand reaching toward the girl who came to hug her warmly.

"Good. Cause I need a shower."

Sherry giggle.

"What's so funny?" Claire asked with a tired raised eyebrow.

"They gave you a bath yesterday."

Claire slowly looked over toward the police officer with shaggy hair. He was wearing a dark blue jacket over a white t-shirt. She wondered why his shoulder was wrapped up. She motioned for Sherry to wake him up, smiling as he turned to look at her.

"Good morning, sleepyhead."

Claire chuckles and counters with an impression of Scooby Doo, "Right, Raggy!"

Leon laughs bit. "That is the best Scooby Doo impression I have ever heard."

Claire chuckles, and groans a bit, a sharp pain moving up her ribs.

"Ah, it hurts to laugh too much. So...what happened? Last thing I remember is being on the train out and everything going black."

Leon rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Well, I entered the room you and found you passed out. You were bloating up, I had no idea what was going on. And then-"

"We found you. We brought you to one of our hospitals. You were infected with the G-Virus," a doctor explained, his steps echoing as he entered the room.

Claire's eyes widened in hororr. "What? How?"

"Forgive me, Doctor Shirakawa. We have no idea. What we do know, though, is that all it did was accelerate growth in your body. Thus, your current motherly proportions."

Claire moved a hand down her body and saw that the doctor wasn't wrong.

"We had no idea as to how to treat you, but that's where little Miss Birkin came in," the doctor said, producing a bottle of the anti-virus. "She gave us this after she found it in her bag. With it, we were able to stabilize you and prepare for the aftermath."

Claire froze for a moment.

"Aftermath?" Claire asked nervously.

"Yes, while infected, you had experienced a strange pregnancy. When we introduced the anti-virus,  the bloating stopped and we performed an ultrasound. After many other tests, of course."

Claire shifted nervously. She was...pregnant...

"As far as we can tell, you should be dead, but...I guess you got lucky. After we treated you, they started popping out."

"They?" Claire was confused.

"Yes, you were carrying several, not just one giant one that violently burst from your womb like a chestburster in Alien."

Claire's eyes widened as she brought a hand to her abdomen, which showed signs of stretching.

"However, there has been some...developments."

"What happened?" The Redfield asked.

"Well..." The doctor shifted nervously in place, freezing, unable to tell her.

"What happened?"

The doctor sighed. "All but one was...lost, a boy."

"C-Can I see him?"

The doctor recoiled for a moment before letting out a sigh, giving the young woman a "of course, miss", and leaving the room.

Claire lays there, her eyes void of tears, filled with fear. What would he look like? Would he be grotesquely deformed, or would he look normal?

Doctor Shirikawa's POV

It felt awful to tell her, but I had my orders. I walk toward my colleague, my eyes expressing everything.

"What sob story did you give this time?"

"Officially? She lost them after birth. Unofficially, they were taken."

"Jesus Christ, Jacen."

"I know, I know. It was the only thing I could think of on the spot."

"How can you do this shit?"

"Apathy. Once you stop caring you can do anything really."

The two continue toward the nursery, following them is a security officer wearing a strange patch of red and white.