A Night of Soulless Corpses

It was Harvardville all over again, and the memories came surging forth from the back of his mind. With the creature behind him trying to get out of the house and one of the zombies speed walking toward him, Nicholas ran across the street toward a burning car.

"Gotta find mom, gotta find mom," Nicholas repeated to himself in a low whisper. "Mom! MOOOOOM!"

Moving into an alleyway, Nicholas found a strange looking knife laying on the ground beside a man wearing a black uniform with a red cross patch on it. Next to the corpse was a large backpack, small enough for the 9-year-old, but large enough to carry many different items. 

Quickly taking the backpack, Nicholas puts the ornate dagger inside and takes the soldier's pistol ammunition. Looking back at the gate, he spots a zombie lumbering down a small flight of stairs toward him. Taking what he could, he made a run for it, bolting up a staircase into another alleyway until eventually coming out to an open street.

"Aim for the head. Just like dad taught me. They're not alive, they're not alive."

Truth be told, Nicholas was still haunted by his earlier actions, horrified at the thought of killing people. Making his way into the open street, he found it strangely empty. That changed however, when he arrived at the square hosting the Arc de Triomphe. Just above the monument stood a group of soldiers in strange green camouflage uniforms with black gas masks. Around the monument itself stood heavy fortifications. In those fortifications stood the dead officers of the police force in Paris, or at least a small semblance. Some lay dead on the ground, others lumbered around searching for new victims to infect or consume.

A Black Hawk helicopter with a grey camouflage paint job hosting a strange callsign on the side flew over the Arc. Believing them to be his savior, he signaled to them. However, what he receive was far from a warm extension of a helpful hand. A spotlight was placed on him from the side of the helicopter, forcing him to cover his eyes. He had little time to run before he heard a strange whirring in the distance before loud consecutive bangs filled the air and bullets began to spray about him.

Angry shouting quickly filled the air as Nicholas made his way toward a small checkpoint, coming across a wounded soldier with a strange looking white uniform and a faded red and white patch. Hiding behind a damaged concrete barricade, Nicholas turned to see the man give him a wide-eyed look.

"Kid! Kid!" The soldier whispered harshly trying to stay quiet.

Nicholas turned toward the soldier and rushed over to him.

"Can you speak English?" The soldier asked.

Nicholas gave the soldier a confused look.

"Tu parles Anglais?"

Realizing what he was asking, Nicholas nodded. The soldier breathed a sigh of relief. "You need to get out of here."

Nicholas looked over at the helicopter.

"You know them?"

"No."

"I see. Now, seeing as you're able to move, there's a vest in the booth over there. I have a suspicion you'll need it."

Following the soldier's instructions, Nicholas goes into the booth and finds several things inside, including a light armored vest and a grenade or two.

Putting the grenade in his backpack, he puts the vest on before going back to the soldier.

"Good kid. Now, do you think you could help me up?"

Nicholas shakes his head.

"Shit..."

However, instead of leaving the soldier to die, he helps him get to his feet.