The Doll

Annabeth just wants to earn the trust of the people in the apartments. She doesn't expect to get anything in return. That's where she finds herself, carrying an elderly lady's shopping up the many stairs, to one of many identical doors.

"Thank you, young lady," the woman croaks out, and then unlocks the door. "Wait here for a moment, I have something for you."

After a few minutes of rustling, the lady emerges from the room once more with a small figure in her hands. Annabeth squints, trying to get a clear look at the...thing.

"This has been in my family for years, trying to find it's right companion. Hopefully you'll treat it right." The woman holds out a small, old, wooden doll. It appears to have raven black woolen hair, and beautiful sea green eyes that were painted on with perfect accuration, so that it looked more comforting than creepy. It wore a tiny orange shirt and miniscule deep blue jeans.

"Thank you..." Annabeth breaths out, admiring the workmanship of the doll. She gingerly takes it, then a voice interrupts the moment.

"Athena! Are you nearly done? I need some help feeding the fish." Athena rolls her eyes, shouting back, "Nearly Poseidon, don't worry!" She glances back at Annabeth giving her a warm smile. "Excuse my roommate. Thank you dear. Enjoy the doll."

The door shut, and Annabeth stares at the figure in her hand.

_____________

Annabeth places the doll on the shelf, so that it would watch over her as she studies. Day and night, it would sit there, casting it's sea green eyes down at her room. It comforted her, the doll always being there for her. She imagined a boy sitting next to her, messy raven black hair and his sea green eyes staring into hers. She would rant to him, and he would be patient, listening and giving her advice.

"That's new," Commented Piper as she flops onto her friend's bed, pointing at the doll sitting comfortably on the shelf.

"An old lady gave it to me the other day." Annabeth says casually, plopping herself onto the bed.

"What's it's name?" Piper asks, sitting up cross-legged.

"It's name? I don't know...doll?" Annabeth shrugs, getting up to get a card game, Mythomagic..

"You should name it!" Piper insists.

"Fine...Perseus. Like from the myths we're learning in class. Happy?"

"Yes. But something seems off with it..." Piper scrunches up her nose inspecting the figure. "It looks...real. Like it could come alive."

"Don't be silly Piper," Annabeth rolls her eyes, dismissing the comment. "That's absurd.'

"Hey, I'm just saying!" Piper puts her hands up in a sort of surrender gesture. Still, Piper didn't take her eyes off of the doll.

_____________

Annabeth stares at the door of her apartment. Noises echo inside, which means one thing. A thief.

The door opens with a bang as Annabeth charges in, her pepper spray in hand. A yelp can be heard, and Annabeth blinks repeatedly.

In a corner of the room, a boy about her age is crouching, his eyes frantic and scared at her. His sea green eyes.

"P-Perseus?" Annabeth stutters out, lowering the spray. Perseus nods meekly, slowly standing up and walking over from his corner. "Ca-Can you speak?"

"Yeah..." A soft, deep voice can be heard. "Yeah, I can."

Annabeth stares in amazement at the boy that's previously her doll, sitting on the shelf day and night.