Assassins

BANG BANG BANG

The gunshots leave the person's ears ringing, even though they had heard the same noise hundreds of times by now. A man's body slumps forward, landing right in front of the cloaked man. The man crouches down, pulling out a pack of cards and selecting a single card, the spade of ace. He places it over the man's heart, which is now pooling out blood from it.

As the sirens begin to grow louder, the assassin swiftly climbs up the wall and disappears into the night, running over the building tops of Manhattan.

________________

The cloaked man silently swings through the window of an apartment building, and looks around. A cot with a small, sleeping child inside. Nobody else is there. He opens the door and sees a light coming from another room. As he peeks inside said room, he sees a woman, sitting at a desk while taking a sip from her coffee. She sighs, her blue eyes inspecting her laptop screen as she runs her hand through her brown hair. The man creeps up to her, not making a sound. 

As soon as he is right behind her, about to strike, she takes another sip of her coffee before saying in a bored tone, "I know you're there Percy."

Percy groans, taking off his hood and mask. "How did you know?" He whines, sitting down in another chair next to her and spinning around in it. "It's like you always know I'm there. Like a six sense..."

"Well, I'm your mother, so I always need to know where you are," Sally says, closing her laptop, "And I've had many more experience as an assassin then you. Do you get the job done?"

"Yeah, I did. He was sooooo easy to kill, he died in five seconds!" Percy explains with unneeded dramatic hand actions.

"Good. The Black Aces will tell you your next target tomorrow, 'kay?" She stood up, ruffling his hair. "For now, get some sleep. You're going to camp in the morning, so make sure to bring your Aces on-the-go bag."

"Okay..." Percy heads out to his own room, making sure not to wake Paul or Estelle.

________________

"Percy!" Paul greets him as he comes down the stairs. Percy grabs an apple from the counter, and picks up Estelle, twirling her around. "How did the meeting go last night?"

"Hey Paul," Percy says, looking at his stepfather. "It went pretty well, the guy was dead in seconds." Paul and Sally had met at The Black Aces assassin academy, in a writing class. Even assassins should be educated. Paul was a retired assassin, as was Sally. Both the Blofis and Jackson families had been assassins in The Black Ace for hundreds of years. It supported your family for as long as you stayed as an assassin, but it came with a cost. Enemies. Apparently the plane cars that Sally's parents were in was a missile that had been intentionally targeted at them.

"You excited to go to camp?" Paul asked, getting Estelle from Percy and placing her down in a highchair for her to eat her breakfast.

"Yup!" Percy excitedly replied. "I can't wait to see the look on Annabeth's face when she realized that I came back early." He slings his Aces on-the-go bag over his shoulder, saying goodbye to his family and going to catch a taxi.

________________

"Hello? Agent Black Ocean, can you read me? We have another mission for you." A crackled voice fills the taxi as Percy realizes that his earpiece is in fact, not on silent mode. Percy pulls out a small gun from a hidden pocket in his pants, loading it and holding it up to the cabbie's head. 

"Keep driving." He says through gritted teeth. The woman's eyes widen, and she picks up speed. Percy clicks a button on the earpiece. "I can read you, loud and clear. What's the mission?"