To the Sage for Answers!

"Thank you for agreeing to see me, Dr. Alulim," Alyonna said as the serene professor of paleontology ushered her through the door.

Aly had on a fitted white dress that extended to her ankles, black heels with thick soles to more easily navigate the gravel that served as roads for the colony, and a pair of small factory made diamond and gold earrings Hans had bought for her when he came back from his second tour of duty. She removed the heels now leaving only the thin white socks between her feet and the clay floor.

"Of course, Aly. You and Hans are always welcome in my home. Please, follow me."

When they came to the parlor, Aly thought he would stop and sit there, as he usually did with his guests, but he kept going. He led her down a wide hallway, the walls lined with hieroglyphs. Clay and stone stands stood at even intervals bearing various artifacts of a bygone time on a now alien Earth.

Eventually the hallway opened into another room. This one was similarly decorated. On the far end was a balcony overlooking the Volba River and, nearer to the house, a few dozen date palm saplings that Ahriman had planted as soon as the house was built. They were rooting well.

Ahriman led Alyonna to the balcony and gestured politely for her to sit in a comfortable looking lounge chair next to a gold lined, antique table. Aly was certain the thing must've been handmade in Thutmoses' time. She wasn't sure of course, but nothing in the entire house was contemporary...except the house itself and its occupant.

Once they were seated and the servants had brought wine and a bowl of fresh dates, Dr. Alulim turned kind, wise eyes on Alyonna, "So, Aly, what brought you to my home this morning?"

"Something troubles me, Ahri."

Ahriman said nothing, waiting patiently for her to continue.

"We haven't really spoken since the wedding...and that didn't seem like the best time to talk about what happened at the Martin's house."

"What do you remember?" Ahriman asked softly.

"It's all clutter," Aly sighed, "I was driving to the fort with Ensign Matthews and then we were stopped by men in dark hoods. They tased the guards and jabbed something into me. Why they didn't kill them I don't know. Clearly both Derrick and Lemuel survived...when I woke up I was being dragged by my hair and James Martin was holding a knife to my throat. And there were kobolds all around...I've asked Hans about this. He just keeps saying I'm safe and nothing else...but Ahriman?"

"Mmm?"

"I saw you fight. I've never known any other man than Hans to move that fast. I've never even seen Hans fight since no one's dumb enough to try. What's going on Ahri?"

Ahriman looked at her calmly through kind brown eyes. When he did speak, he didn't exactly answer her question, "Hans is one one of the greatest warriors humanity has ever seen," the doctor of paleoanthropology said, "I should know. It is my trade after all. Even mighty Achilles would've fallen to your husband as though he were little more than a child with a wooden sword. He is even greater than I, and I fought in the Fifth War too...on the side of the Eastern States."

Alyonna's mouth fell open, "What?"

"Did you believe that the Eastern States were evil, Alyonna?"

Actually, Alyonna did think that. She had never really thought about it, but she did.

"I can see the answer in your face, Aly. You do. But it is never that simple. Life is a series of balances and counterbalances. Once in a while someone or someones emerge seeking to disrupt that balance and others rise to overcome it. How do you think the war started?"