The Hearing

"Alyonna Marian Standing, do you acknowledge what you stand accused of?"

Alyonna who'd been through this whole song and dance opened her mouth to speak, but Katherine beat her to it.

"The absence of a legislative basis for the court's case precludes these proceedings, your honor."

The officer, General Gary Kellerman, stopped and looked left and right at his co-judges. The one on the right, an attorney himself, stood up, "Mrs. Stalbot, you are aware that military tribunals are not subject to civil law according to the Astral Ark Charter, correct?"

"Oh yes, Captain Chapdelaine. You are quite right, it is not subject to civil law in the case of military members or spouses who commit crimes on military bases or property-" She put up a hand to forestall the captain's rebuttal, "including the Astral Ark," she finished.

"Do you acknowledge that the offenses your client is accused of were committed on such property including the military base on which the defendant lived with Captain Agler?"

"Yes, I do acknowledge that the crimes were allegedly committed in such places."

"Then what is the basis of your claim that this court has no right to hold this woman accountable for her actions?"

Katherine gave the captain a truly impressive stare. It was both haughty and professional; both empathetic and hateful. 

Alyonna was actually a bit impressed. 

"On the basis that she is not, in fact, a spouse."

"Ceremonially, no," Captain Chapedelaine interjected, "but according to interviews we've conducted with the crew, they've been together for sixteen years, not including the fifty on the Astral Ark. Sixteen years is more the twelve year cohabitation requirement enacted by the US in 2235. Therefore this court holds them to be in common law marriage."

Kathy Stalbot looked mortified for half a second then composed herself. She glanced down at Alyonna who only nodded imperceptibly. The look said, "Yes, technically he's right."

"Bugger," Kathy Stalbot's look replied.

"This is a new planet, Mrs. Stalbot," General Kellerman was speaking, "and the party who was supposed to be responsible for overseeing the creation of a system of government and commerce for the colony according to Congress' wishes is...indisposed at the moment. Thus–"

"Oh cry peril!" Katherine threw up her hands animatedly, "You can say the name of the responsible party, General Kellerman. He's not going to rise from his double pallet in the ICU and give you a royal round of military style profundity."

Alyonna, whose thoughts had turned to the subject of the conversation, choked on a laugh at that last bit. Hans was gonna give at least one judge a bit of MSP when he woke up, but Aly had a sneaking suspicion Kathy Salbot could give him a run for his money in that department. She was sure these guys were considering their options carefully as well.

Her heart sank a moment later.

"Nevertheless, Mrs. Stalbot," General Kellerman continued, "The court will push this case to trial. We simply cannot afford to let the first string in the weave pull. The system is not strong enough yet. An example must be made lest the colony's resources become stretched too thin by premature pregnancies."

"The system is not that fragile, General. We have laws. We have customs. And we have decency. And none of this complies with any of them. Hell, if the issue is feeding the girl, I already know for a fact that Miriam Martin is planning to share some of her private stock with her. I'll do the same. Can we go now?"