A Woman's Scorn

Clarice walked through the hospital doors early that morning and set about her tasks. There was a laundry list of minor injuries, little illnesses, and a handful of interesting new pathogens to treat. Proxima-B had its own subset of microorganisms that apparently didn't know what the heck to do with a human yet. 

Clarice and the other doctors hoped it stayed that way for a long time. A few had gotten into people's systems and managed to survive and cause some problems, but it wasn't anything more serious than the common cold just yet.

Around lunch time when most of the staff were on break except a skeleton crew, she slipped into the monitoring room where Hans lay, dead to the world, but not yet dead. She went to his bedside and pulled out the syringe.

She popped the cap off and raised it to the light looking for bubbles. And stopped.

"That's odd," she whispered, "I didn't know the final product was clear."

Being interested in the development of this particular drug, Clarice had read up on it. The chronoquarkium sulfate mixture she'd read about was pale yellow from the sulfur.

She thought about it for a long moment, but knew she didn't have time. She started to put the drug away. She trusted James. She didn't trust his "contact." Her emotions could drive her to foolishness, but one thing she wasn't was stupid. She'd get Dr. Halberd, who she had dirt on for stealing vitamins, to help her test it. She'd give it to Hans when she was sure what was going in his body.

Just then a door banged and angry male voices sounded and the loud rumbling of military trucks echoed down the hall.

Clarice freaked out. Certain it was General Kellerman's men coming to murder Hans, she busted the syringe back out.

"Oh God," she whispered, "Forgive me if this doesn't work, Governor. It's your only shot."

The needle descended toward his massive arm. Clarice struggled to keep her hand steady, fighting against panic.

The needle pricked his skin and slid in. Clarice found herself hurled back against the concrete wall. Stars danced behind her eyes. Her scream choked by panic, breast rising and falling rapidly as she struggled for breath. Something was blocking her windpipe. Her eyes flicked open, and tears poured from the corners of them as she found herself staring down the barrel of a glock. Through tear blurred eyes she made out the fuzzy outline of a military gray uniform.

Someone was screaming at her.

The needle? Who knew where?

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hospital was completely taken by surprise when fifteen military trucks rolled into the parking lot and armed men wearing red and white face paint poured out of them. There were no soldiers guarding the hospital as it was in the center of town and the only threats anyone knew about were a number of large predator species outside the town.

Alyonna's troops poured through the halls of the hospital securing it. Two more trucks bearing sandbags pulled up and younger enlisted guys swarmed over one of them. They quickly placed the bags between and under the trucks forming a considerable barricade. A few of the vehicles and one of the sandbag trucks peeled off and secured the other entrance.

The medical personnel were told they were "hostages" in the loosest sense of the term. Sgt. Batts made it very clear to them they were free to come and go, but that they'd be searched on their way back in. Only those doctors and nurses needed to care for Hans and other colonists in critical condition were required to stay on the premises at all times. If they had errands, someone nonessential could be sent for it. For all intents and purposes the hospital was under martial law.

Alyonna rushed down the hall to the ICU.

"Ma'am!" Sgt. Batts was right behind her, "General Kellerman is coming with at least a regiment! We can't hold this forever!"

"Stall him, Sergeant! Hans is strong. If he can speak, he can wake up. Go!"

Aly dashed into the room and pulled up short. One of her men was guarding the door and lowered his rifle when he saw her, another had a nurse pinned to the wall. The poor girl looked like she was about to have a heart attack.

"Let her go, Private Solomons!"

The nurse sagged to the floor sobbing and mumbling something Alyonna thought was, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." But Aly took the panicked sobs with a grain of salt.

She took a step toward Hans and felt something underfoot. It was a syringe full of clear liquid. It had blood on it, but looked full. Casting about, Aly found the cap and stuffed the syringe in her purse.