Mount Up Soldier

A troubled crease had become a permanent fixture on Hans' forehead. When Aly finally slipped into a blissful sleep he lay awake. Not wanting to disturb her, he got up and sat down on a conservative wood based lounge chair. Its cushions were little more than thin cloth packed with jin hen feathers.

His head rolled back and eyes wandered over the plaster ceiling, aimlessly alighting on various bumps and rivulets. It felt like a map of his mind, an unknown and perilous landscape. When Aly told him about the call with her father, a mix of emotions ran through him. Regret, that he hadn't married Aly before leaving Earth, when her father and mother could be present; joy, that Mr. Standing was still alive; sadness, that his mind was gone; and finally rage, that some cocksucking thugs had pulled up and accosted him on Hans' account.

Hans' eyes flowed over a section where the plaster formed a deep ravine. Memories, that weren't memories because he couldn't remember teased at the edges of his consciousness, bidding him to hurl himself down the ravine into their snare.

"Free us," he whispered, trying to remember. It felt like his mind had put up barriers around the memory. "Free us!" and "Figure in the flames." That's what Aly said he called out during his nightmare. They meant nothing to him, and yet they were familiar.

And then there were the thugs and his conversation with then president Vivian Beaufort on Earth. She was dead now. Yet another champion of humanity passing into oblivion. Hans couldn't know how it all fit together. But there was something afoot, something sinister that threatened his colony; his eyes landed on Aly; and his own family. Whatever else he was, Hans was not a man of inaction. First thing in the morning, he'd investigate. If he could only stop getting distracted!

"What about the ship?" He muttered softly. Lt. Harrison had told him the results were inconclusive, only that some of the biomatter found was from Earth. She couldn't determine if it was from livestock held in the hold or something else, but said she'd keep working on it. He'd kept trusted men on the Astral Ark with no further incidents. The silence troubled him more than anything else. "Goddamit, give me something to kill," he fussed. Then laughed at himself softly.

Aly shifted in her sleep, one hand reaching out for him. Not finding him there she bolted upright and cast about, worry written all over her face. Hans was with her in two strides, sliding back into the bed next to her. He put an arm around her and she leaned her face against his chest.

"I'm here Aly. It's ok."

"Don't leave me," she whispered.

"I won't."

"I'm frightened."

Hans leaned his head against her's, "Me too, Baby."

"You're never afraid," she mumbled sleepily.

"I'm always afraid," he said softly.

"Hmm," Aly sighed dozing, "Mount up soldier boy."

"I will. You're safe," he kissed the top of her head gently, "I promise."

Aly slowly snuggled up to him, resting her head on his chest. He felt her heat acutely through the thin fabric of her nightgown. He took one of her hands in his and cradled her with the other.

Their breathing slowed, fading into the sweet oblivion of sleep.