Military Trial

The green jeep carrying Katherine Stalbot pulled into the driveway when the sun was halfway to its zenith.

Alyonna walked briskly down the steps and hopped in.

"Ms. Standing," one of the army guys was approaching the vehicle.

"Yes, Sgt Batts?"

"Ms. Standing, I must insist you ride to the courthouse with our convoy."

"Lemuel," Alyonna used his first name, "I'll be fine, I've ridden to and from hearings with Kathy three times in the last month. We'll be ok. You can follow with your men."

"Aly," the sergeant said looking grim, "This is the day. The day those bastards decide the fate of Hans Agler's baby. The day the cockroach eating sons of whores decide what to do with a kid's life while his titan of a father is asleep." The sergeant spat on the ground.

"Cocksuckers," he muttered. Louder he went on, "If anything happens to you or that baby, the captain will have my ears for a halloween costume. I must insist you ride with me."

Alyonna sighed, and glanced at Kathy who just shrugged. Aly got out of the jeep and was escorted to the one behind it by Sgt. Batts. Another two dozen men, armed with standard issue M16's and other small arms piled into other jeeps and trucks.

Alyonna didn't know it, but beneath the seats the soldiers had stashed some badder toys in case they were needed. Aly didn't want it, but it seemed like she'd just found herself in the middle of a coup. If she did know, she wasn't sure which side of the coup she was on, offense or defense. With a rumble the convoy headed out the gate and down the gravel road toward the courthouse where the final trial was taking place.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The court calls Alyonna Marian Standing to the witness stand," Captain Chapdelaine declared. This trial was being conducted much like a civilian trial back on Earth with a jury, attorneys, and a judge. Except the judge was a military officer instead of a judicial one.

Alyonna approached the stand casting a reproachful glare at General Kellerman. It was gone from her face before he looked up, replaced with serene confidence.

"The prosecution may proceed," General Kellerman declared.

Alyonna cast a quick glance around the courtroom to see if she had any friends at all here. She spotted Tyrone Hunter and his wife Sheila, Hans oldest friends besides her. Dr. Peter Halberd was also there looking grim. She knew why he looked that way. Dr. Umeckwe, his superior, seizing on the opportunity to improve Peter's skill set, would require him to perform the procedure under supervision. They all thought it was inevitable, even Alyonna. She cast about quickly looking for Dr. Alulim, and spotted him standing near the back in the shadow of a wood paneled pillar. The lighting situation in the colony was getting better, but it still wasn't great.

A new feeling was stirring deep in her heart. Hate, pure unadulterated hate. Why couldn't they have just left all this shit back on Earth? She'd never been against abortion herself, but court ordering it by force was another thing altogether. Her baby wasn't a criminal and neither was she.

She looked back down at Captain Chapdelaine and tossed her hair over her shoulder. Defiance, that was she felt, defiance.

"Ms. Standing, were you aware of the Astral Ark Charter's ordinance against going into cryo while pregnant and the MSI which was put in place to prevent such situations?"

Alyonna didn't answer.

"May I remind you, Ms. Standing, that you are under oath?" General Kellerman said.