Tech Genius with an Odd Hobby

"Shooby, come in please."

The young tech billionaire and astro-physicist crossed the threshold of the enormous Dubai mansion. The forty thousand square foot house felt more like a palace to him and dwarfed any individual property he owned. Even more impressively, the edifice seemed to be constructed entirely of sandstone and whoever the architect was, he was an artist. The lines of each floor flowed into one another. One section may have appeared square and blocky at first glance, but taken as a whole the thing was quite beautiful.

"Do you like my home?" The voice carried a deep, cultured resonance that bore the weight of knowledge and experience.

Shooby shivered imperceptibly. It was as if the very sands of ancient mesopotamian cultures gathered in that voice, each word laced with a richness that demanded attention from even the most restless mind...which was good, because that was his mind to a T.

"It's beautiful, Dr. Alulim. I've never seen anything so strange yet aesthetic," he tacked the last word on the end to make himself sound more sophisticated. In truth, he was an educated man, but rarely spoke academically, and never to such a prestigious master.

Dr. Alulim smiled and bowed hospitably, spreading his hands in a welcoming gesture. The wide sleeves of his robes told of a man immersed in the rich ancient history of humanity.

"Had you cracked open a history textbook, you would've seen one, young master. I had the home fashioned after the Sumerian ziggurat. Please," Ahriman continued, "follow me."

"Of course, Dr. Alulim. I will treat your home as though it really were an ancient temple."

Shooby removed his Jordans and followed the famous academic and philanthropist into his home. Every inch of the place seemed covered in authentic works of art belonging to ancient civilizations now nothing more than whispered echoes. 

Each room had its own theme; China, Babylon, Egypt, Indus, Greek, Carthaginian, Aztec, Mayan, Achaemedian, Hellenic; on and on they went. Eventually Shooby realized that it wasn't just one civilization per room, but one era of a single civilization per room. He felt like he was in heaven.

Eventually, his host led him out onto a wide veranda overlooking the Dubai Creek, though Ahriman insisted upon calling it the River Zara as the Ancient Greeks had.

"Dates?" Ahriman asked, holding out a bowl.

"Oh, yes please," Shooby took a polite few.

"Please sit."

At his host's invitation, Shooby sat down cross legged on a low couch, while Dr. Alulim lay on his side on the other.

Shooby had never met the paleoanthropologist before, only heard of him by reputation as a speaker and advocate of cultural conservatism. Ahriman's comments on religion bore only on his interest in the history and culture of societies that predated modern religions by thousands of years.

Regarding him now, Shooby was struck by his attire which was reminiscent of the ancient Persians. Shooby was accustomed to sleek and conservative fashions and couldn't help but feel out of place. The professor's attire conveyed a sense of profound cultural appreciation, and Shooby was intrigued to learn from this man who seemed to bridge the gap between history and the modern world.

"You came here with questions for me," Dr. Alulim rumbled. His head was supported on one hand in a reclining position, but the almond shaped eyes set in a weathered face were dark, soulful, and focused, emanating a sense of ancient wisdom.

"So I did," Shooby rushed, "Dr. Alulim, I too have a collection, though not quite as impressive as yours. It's mostly Ancient Egyptian artifacts."

Dr. Alulim looked at him calmly without saying anything.