The Syringe

Alyonna stopped by the hospital on her way home from work. She was needed in the lab that day to diagnose a potential native crop species. She actually felt refreshed having had a chance to do something other than read mildly interesting reports and worry, but a chill crept over her as she entered Peter's office.

"Did you find anything?" She asked.

Dr. Halberd looked up from his desk, and tried to smile. It was a labored thing. Aly's heart sank, "Oh no."

Dr. Halberd nodded and stood up, "I've got bad news, worse news, and unfortunate news."

"Ok," Aly breathed carefully, "Let's go in order. Hit me with it, Doc."

Peter stepped around her and shut the door. Turning back slowly still with one hand on the door as though he was afraid someone would burst through it, he continued, "The bad news is that the syringe you found at Hans' bedside contained tetrodotoxin."

Aly gasped, "Poison?"

Dr. Halberd nodded, "An extremely difficult to trace poison...at least it was until recently. I'm guessing whoever attempted to administer it was counting on the relative difficulty involved with finding it, or perhaps they had a doctor on staff who would simply rule that he'd died peacefully in his sleep. I don't know, I only know what the tests came back with."

Alyonna just nodded and motioned for him to continue. She was way beyond "over this shit" and just wanted the facts.

"The worse news is that the samples were stolen from the lab when I went out to relieve myself. Only someone with medical access could do it, but no one knew what I was doing there."

"The nurse could've known."

"Could she?"

"She knew she didn't have the syringe when she left. Which meant I probably had it. If she saw me come to see you..."

"Yes, yes, you're right," Peter waved his hand, "It doesn't change the fact that it's gone and with it the evidence. I still was able to make up the report, but without the syringe, it doesn't give us anything to go on in court."

"We don't need the courts for this," Aly hissed.

Dr. Halberd shook his head, "As much as I admire Hans, I can't condone anything like what you're suggesting. If he turns into a tyrant, I'll turn against him myself. We had enough of those in the old world, don't you think?"

Aly waved her hand, "If Hans' attacker tries another assassination attempt it won't be illegal to kill the assailant, and if the person in question poses a significant threat to society, he or she or they will have all the evidence we need in their homes."

"Yes, yes," Dr. Halberd nodded slowly, "Either way, this gives you something to go on. You have an enemy. Now you know."

"And the unfortunate news?"

"The unfortunate news is that although we know the nurse's name is Clarice Sterling, we don't know where she is, and therefore can't question her."

Aly slowly nodded her understanding. Her friend looked so downcast, like he'd failed in doing the most important task he'd ever been given.

"Peter," Aly whispered approaching him. She gave him a hug, "Peter, you did well. It wasn't fair of me to ask this of you, but you were the only one who could do this that I can trust. You stepped up. Thank you."

Peter's arms caught her in the embrace, "You're welcome, Aly. Of course, you're welcome," hugging her tighter, "I'd do anything for you. I'm just...I'm really worried about you. If this person goes for Hans, he may go for you too. You're his only weakness. None of it makes any sense," he looked up suddenly and pulled back looking Aly in the eyes. It was like a lightbulb went off in his head, "Aly, what if the same person who went for Hans went for your baby too?"

"What?" Aly asked incredulously. Fear rose from the small of her back up her spine as though threatening to freeze it in place.

"Think about it, Aly! At the trial Chapdelaine and Kellerman did their level best to make the trial about how tyrannical Hans is. They were afraid of him, afraid he may take absolute power...or put absolute power out of their reach." The words were rushing out of him faster than he could think, "And what does every tyrant want? A dynasty, Aly. Which makes that baby in your belly, in their minds, Hans heir to the 'throne.' It's crazy I know but–"

Aly put a finger on his lips to silence him, "It's called projecting," she sighed, "They want to rule the roost, which means they'll pretend that everyone else does too. That only they can save Second Chance from the tyrannical rule of Hans Agler by becoming tyrants themselves, yadayadayada etc."

Suddenly, she looked past his shoulder at the door. They both waited in silence. Aly withdrew a revolver Hans gave her and approached the door, holding up a hand for Peter to be silent. Throwing it open, the hallway was empty but for the sound of retreating footsteps.

"We're screwed," Peter said matter of factly.

"Oh no we're not," Aly said a little more harshly than she intended. Snatching the radio from her purse, "Sgt. Batts do you read me?"

"Go ahead Angel Bird," Sgt. Batts voice came over the radio.

"Did anyone just leave the hospital?"

"Not that I saw. Are you in danger?"

"I'm not sure."

"Not sure means 'yes' far as I'm concerned. Where are you?"

"Dr. Halberd's office."

"Stay there. Batts out."

Aly kept her gun out, eyes searching the hallway. A little while later footsteps echoed down the hall and four of her men came around the corner and escorted her and Peter out of the building. Aly's eyes searched every which way, but saw nothing.

"Do you have a long range radio in that jeep, Sgt. Batts?"

"Yes, ma'am, I do."

"Hail Hans. Tell him to get back to the house asap."

"Yes, ma'am."