Born Smuggler

When Hans had recovered himself and Sheila was cried out, they moved to the living room. It wasn't much, but there were a few benches and a single, solitary sofa that Hans had squirreled away on the ship. It had been his father's and, unable to part with it, he'd taken it apart, put it in a crate marked "construction supplies" along with a few other things and smuggled it here. Alyonna knew about the crate and had retrieved it discreetly with the help of Dr Halberd. She hadn't looked inside. Just stashed it in an empty room. Hans had assembled the thing that day in preparation for the visit.

Tyrone and Sheila were given the sofa. There was a little room left and Alyonna sat down on Tyrone's other side, looping an arm through his. Hans disappeared into the cellar and emerged a few minutes later with something in his hand that made them all smile.

"You brought your Black Label Scotch to Proxima-B!" Alyonna squealed, jumping up to go grab glasses.

"Of course," said Hans looking smug, "and not only that, I got your mother's wine as well as a few bottles of whiskey."

As Alyonna was coming back with the glasses she whispered in his ear, "You're a born smuggler, Hans Agler. I can't drink because of the baby, but maybe later you can smuggle something else into me."

Hans kept a straight face. Aly could be...a little out of touch when frisky, and this was really not the time for flirting. He poured the drinks.

After a few glasses the good cheer returned, and a little while later Tyrone and Sheila left in one of the army jeeps.

"Make sure they get home safely, Sergeant Batts."

"Sir, yes sir."

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After their friends left, Alyonna and Hans busied themselves with the dishes. She usually insisted he let her clean up on account of he had military matters to attend to and now, on this side of the galaxy, matters of state. He usually brushed the offer off, saying it was meditative for him. She'd tease him that he was turning into a monk whenever she came home to find the place spotless...well spotless except for where Hans had his favorite boots, on his favorite feet, propped up on her favorite sofa watching TV.

Now she said nothing. Hans didn't either. He knew better than to interrupt Alyonna when she was trying to process her emotions. As much as he enjoyed playing the part of Fix it Phil, he applied himself to more tangible things, like military matters and cabinets.

Once finished, they put away the last of the dishes and wiped everything down.

Alyonna had decided not to be too hard on Hans. He hadn't decided to go and get blown up after all. That was the idea of...whatever that thing was. But there was one thing she was pissed about.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Hans stopped what he was doing, "I wasn't sure what to say about it."

She glared at the side of his head for a long moment. Hans didn't look up from the dishes. The glare faded from her eyes and she stepped behind him, slipping her arms around his waist. "It wasn't what you wanted," she said.

He sighed, "and at the same time it was what I wanted. Does that make me selfish?"

Alyonna leaned her face against the back of his shoulder blade, "No, Hans. It makes you human. If anything it makes you selfless. You wanted the human thing, a life with the people you love, but you did everything in your power to do the right thing which was to pilot the Astral Ark to Proxima-B."

"I failed though."

She didn't have the strength to turn him around on her own, but he followed her hand. She had to lean her head back quite a bit to look in his eyes, "You didn't fail. You did your job. And Ty did his. And we're all here, all alive, all working to make a new world for humanity."

Hans sighed and nodded, "And we better be quick about it."

"Why's that?" Alyonna asked, a little surprised, "This isn't about the food is it? Because we're on track for that. Turns out the forests are teeming with game and flora. It's just slow going cause we have to figure out which ones are edible."

"No," Hans answered, "FTL comms are up. Ty and I met with the NATO leaders after you left the base. The Chinese launched the Xun Shou colony vessel five years after the Astral Ark launched. It's also possible that up to three other countries, including Russia, have also launched colony ships or will very soon. We have to establish NATO control over this sector before they arrive. And who knows what surprises they have in store for us."

"Well," Alyonna turned away and picked up another plate, "You have to admire their persistence. Isn't Shou the ancient Chinese god of longevity?"

"Yes," Hans nodded, "and Xun means 'swift' or 'fast,' so they are baring themselves to a new world in a swift ship with the aim of longevity. It is rather poetic."

"We're all human beings, Hans," Alyonna whispered, "We all want to survive. Perhaps we should stop treating each other like enemies."

Hans sighed. He thought the sentiment was beautiful...and naive, but he kept that thought to himself.

"Hans?" Alyonna's voice was alarmed.

Hans snapped his head toward the plate she was holding up for him to see.

"Wasn't this Ty's plate?"

There was blood on it.