Laptop

The jeep rolled to a stop in front of the gate. It wasn't much to look at just yet, but Alyonna could make out some men attached to the Army Corps of Engineers setting up fences around the compound. Masons were busily constructing bunkers inside the fence line to replace the temporary tents. There was only one fully constructed building. It was very large, say better "expansive" because it was only ground level. It was steel frame constructed with high grade insulating fabric pulled over it.

Aly saw a large set of blueprints hung between two poles off to one side of the entrance. A few engineers were gathered around some tables there explaining the next stage of the project to their superintendents. Alyonna stared at the blueprints for a moment and decided the building looked like a spider web, at the center of which she would find her lover.

Behind the fort was a tall and quite beautiful forest covered mountain. Heavy drills brought in parts on the Astral Ark and assembled on the surface were busily chewing into the mountainside. The surface fort, it seemed, was little more than a temporary base and first line fortifications.

That suspicion was confirmed a moment later when Aly spotted ordinance personnel planting mines in front of a second interior line of fences on the west side of the base.

Third generation Bradley personnel carriers and M4 Abrams main battle tanks were drawn up in rows in a field on the east side of the base. Why they thought they'd need all that ordinance, Alyonna didn't know. It was only them here...right?

"Who is this?" A stocky blonde woman wearing a captain's insignia on her lapel and hat directed the challenge to Ensign Matthews.

Alyonna was starting to get annoyed. Even on the ship, no one seemed to know who she was. Even after her highly public trial! She figured the captain was just being surly.

The ensign stumbled over an explanation, but the captain cut him off.

"No civilians beyond this point. Turn around, Ensign Matthews."

"Listen, Bitch."

The captain seemed taken aback by this. Perhaps she was just a half century out of practice having her way.

"I'm the fucking governor's common law wife. Open this gate and let me through, NOW." The appendage "wife" worked against her before, but she was perfectly happy to wave it around now.

Captain Clara Muldin was speechless for a moment, eyes locked on Alyonna's, after a moment she busted out a radio and spoke quickly in military jargon.

"She's here?" A feeble male voice answered.

More military garble.

A moment later, the captain ordered the barrier lifted, bumped Derrick to the back of the jeep, and had a short lieutenant take the wheel. He drove the jeep up to the steel frame building, parked, opened the door for Aly and escorted her inside, holding the flap of the entrance back for her.

Alyonna was escorted down several passages of the large building. It was more or less an open floor plan, with military support personnel sitting in lines at contractor tables, flipping through paperwork, issuing work orders, and processing reports. Some places were cordoned off with the same thick tied down fabric that covered the exterior. Alyonna caught glimpses inside as they passed some of them. Some held computer servers, others small arms munitions, and a handful had actual computers and large screens. Higher ranking officers were gathered in these watching something Alyonna couldn't make out on the screens.

Loud voices and radio chatter seemed to be a constant ambiance throughout the structure. At least until they arrived at the center of the web. The hubbub faded behind them as the short lieutenant, whom Aly had heard one of the NCO's call "Laptop," led her down the hall toward the central nexus.

"Why do they call you Laptop, Lieutenant?" Alyonna couldn't hold her curiosity back anymore.

The short, black officer chuckled, "It's Lieutenant Troy Freeman, ma'am. The boys call me Laptop on account of I'm the shortest permanently commissioned officer in the force."

"Oh," Alyonna giggled, "Permanently commissioned is abbreviated PC. So you're a small PC. I get it!"

Laptop winked at her, and pulled aside the flap to the main command area. He then ushered her off to the side and stood at attention. Alyonna waited.