Seeking Help

"What is the matter, Aly?" Dr. Alulim's voice was grave. He could see from the woman's tear streaked face that she was in great distress.

"All of it, Ahriman," she whispered, sipping the glass of water Ahriman's servants had brought her, "Hans is out cold, and I don't know when or if he'll wake up, and wolves are circling around me. They won't take the child from my hands, no, they'll rip him from my womb. I have few if any friends...but I was given a portion of Hans' captain's log, and in it he mentioned that he counted on you as a friend and–"

"I understand," the Levantian sage said softly.

"Please Ahri," Alyonna reached out with small hands and Ahriman took them in his large ones, "You are powerful and influential, surely there is something you can do?"

Ahriman looked at her with calm, wise composure. Tears formed in Alyonna's eyes as she realized what she'd known even before she came. But she had to hear it from his mouth or she would always wonder.

"I cannot interfere," Ahriman said softly, "I cannot overturn the laws of men nor undo your transgressions. You knew about the MSI and broke it anyway. That is not an accusation. I understand all the thoughts and feelings that went into it. It was a risk, a bet, and you lost. I cannot undo that."

Alyonna nodded and turned away, eyes downcast.

"What I can do is ensure you are fed, and be here when you need a shoulder to cry on, and stand behind the doctor who performs the procedure to make sure you are unharmed."

"They'll let you in the surgery room?"

"Hmmhmmhmm," Ahriman chuckled deep in his chest, "God help them if they try to stop me...but he won't."

Alyonna giggled at that.

"If you don't feel safe at that house on the hill by yourself, you are welcome to stay here. The doors of my home are open to you."

"Really?" Aly looked up.

Ahriman smiled at her comfortingly and nodded slowly, "The only rule is–"

"Don't touch the artwork," Aly quipped.

The sage smiled warmly and nodded.

"Thank you Ahriman...but, I don't think I can. I won't run and hide, even in a home as beautiful as this."

As Ahriman led her toward the door she couldn't help but stop and admire an artifact that caught her eye, "What is this Ahriman?"

The object was a strangely shaped helmet, though none that would fit any human Alyonna had ever met. For one thing, the human would need a head that was six inches wide at the front sloping back to twelve inches at the rear. For another the mouth guard extended forward at least a foot, gently sloping downward to a tapered point.

"It is a balducar," Ahriman explained, "Worn by a species now extinct from the Earth. Do you see the gold band at the top?"

"Yes," Alyonna replied, gazing at the beautiful gold band stretching from front to back with little gold flanges popping up from it.

"This was worn by the king of those people."

"You said species, not race?"

"There used to be many species walking the fastnesses of Earth who could think and communicate and pass down knowledge through generations. Some were small like the–"

"Homo erectus," Aly jumped in, happy to have something other than worrying to do, and delighted to have a chance to show off her education. Then stopped and looked apologetic when she realized she'd cut off her host.