Somewhere Only We Know by Keane

"𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐭𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐠𝐨
𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰?
𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠
𝐒𝐨, 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐠𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰?
𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰"

~

Laurel laughed in glee over the top of his gillywater glass at the forced smile worn by the newly minted Mrs. Densley in her lacey off-white wedding dress as she had a conversation with obnoxiously dressed and flashy Mrs. Noyer. Her silver sparkly gown with dark pastel blue feathers bursting from the ends of the sleeves and the train, he overheard one of his aunts say how it was a step from tacky saved only by the tight fit of it, the high knee slit, a witch hat with a large matching feather and a husband dressed in a suit of the same color to match.

Truly her dress stole the show of the wedding, causing people to divert their attention from the blushing bride to the boisterous neighbor. And Laurel couldn't be happier, he reminisced on the time before the ceremony where he kept shooting glances and making silly faces with Alden dressed in a more simple knee-length dark pastel blue a-line dress with puffy see-through sleeves. He couldn't help but glance over to her multiple times throughout the ceremony and a few times they locked eyes fighting back smiles and laughs. During the ceremony itself as the bride and groom began reading their vows Mrs. Noyer wept softly and dabbed her eyes with the matching handkerchief of her husband's suit. Laurel caught Alden rolling her eyes causing a laugh to escape the boy who stood next to his father as his best man and for everyone to glance at him. He covered it up however, pretending the laugh was a sneeze and straightened himself back up, most of the wedding goers believed it but the boy's now step-mother could see through him and through him quick pestered glances over her husband's shoulder throughout the rest of the ceremony.

And now here Laurel was, watching her this time, as she tried to play nice with the neighbors, and he found it hilarious. Her constant glances at Mrs. Noyer's dress in envy while trying to laugh at her stories, he turned his gaze away to find Alden approaching and sitting beside him with her own glass full of gillywater. They smiled to each other before looking over to the parents across the makeshift dance floor in the middle of the Densley's backyard.

"Looks like she is getting along swimmingly with my parents."

"Don't get your hopes up too high Denden."

The boy punctuated his sentence with a sip from his glass as Alden looked over to him and furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Why's that?"

"Father's blushing bride has been green with envy every time she glances at your mother's outfit."

As he heard Alden laugh he smiled, setting his cup on the table beside him.

"It could have been worse, you know?"

"I know. That must be the toned down outfit choice?"

"No actually, my outfit is the tone down one."

Laurel whipped over to a cheekily smiling Alden, he took a moment to relook over her outfit, from the brown chunky heels she wore to the teardrop pendant that sparked a familiarity to Laurel and the white satin ribbon in her hair. This was tone down, Laurel's eyes widened with shock, she was beautiful even in what she considered 'tone down' and before even thinking about it the boy's inner thoughts slipped out.