This Side of Paradise by Coyote Theory

"𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲?
𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤
𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲
𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡
𝐒𝐨 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲
𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠
𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲, 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞"

~

Halloween, Laurel and Alden had been talking all day about the decorations in the castle and listening to the ghosts tell their tales. Alden's favorite so far had to be Nearly Headless Nick, perhaps she was a bit biased because the ghost was the Gryffindor ghost but nonetheless he was interesting. Laurel listened along to Alden recount her encounter with the ghost as she tied a gold ribbon around her puff.

"From what he said the executioner's blade failed to go all the way through his neck which I believe is a terrible way to go. And then he removed his head which was so gross I nearly puked!"

"Denden."

"Yes?"

"Why are you telling me this right before we go to eat?"

"I forgot."

Laurel laughed before a firm pat landed on his back.

"Come on lovebirds, it's time for the feast."

Quinn Blundell, a fourth year Gryffindor student who had taken Laurel under his wing along with the rest of his friend group, ruffled Laurel's hair in a brotherly manner bringing a frown to the boy who desperately tried to tame it and brush it back down with his hand. If one didn't know their last names they could be mistaken for brothers. Alden laughed earning a glare from Laurel which only caused her to laugh more. Laurel huffed, giving up on his hair and stood up as the trio began to leave the common room along with a few other gryffindors.

"We're not lovebirds Quinn."

"Whenever I see one of you, the other is never too far behind. You guys look like lovebirds to me. Now walk a little faster or else we'll miss the staircase."

~

"Pass me the pumpkin pasties Laurel."

Laurel passed them across to Alden who was squished between Quinn and one of his friends who had his face buried into his food. The group had taken a break from discussing the floating pumpkins around their heads to gorge themselves on the feast in front of them. They were enjoying themselves on this thunderous Halloween when the doors were pushed open by a stumbling professor Quirrel hollering about a troll loose in the castle. A hush fell over the students before they all began to panic and get up to run. Laurel could see Alden pause with her knee hovering over the table poised to climb across the table towards him only to be stopped by a powerful voice.

"SILENCE!"

It was Headmaster Dumbledore, all frightened eyes were on him, he would be able to protect the students, Laurel knew it. His father spoke about how Dumbledore was the only man who he must not be named respected and feared. A troll would be nothing to him.

"Prefects, lead your houses back to the dormitories."

And with those simple instructions the Gryffindor students were being led by a red-headed prefect boy named Percy, a Wealsey if memory serves Laurel right, as the group exited the grand hall Laurel felt someone rest their hand on his back. Quinn, he could tell. Him and his friends encircled Laurel and Alden as they walked.