Mystery of Love by Sufjan Stevens

"𝐎𝐡, 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐞
𝐁𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝
𝐈 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞"

~

Apologies upon apologies, that's what all the open letters that sat on the common room table read when Laurel went to sort through them. He tossed them in one by one and watched as the flames devoured and destroyed each one, he felt his body become light with each pile of ash that formed in the fireplace.

"Knight to E-5."

"I don't understand how you keep winning Quinn."

"Nor do I Alden."

"Calia my love! You wound me!"

The two girls burst into a fit of laughs as Quinn leaned back against the couch resting his hand on top of his forehead.

"Oh how could I love someone so cruel."

Laurel found himself smiling in amusement as Calia stood up from her own couch, she cupped Quinn's mouth and kissed him with a hum. Causing Quinn to sit up and grin from ear to ear, Calia cupped his face with a shake of her head.

"And how could I love someone so dramatic."

Laurel glanced over to Alden with a laugh on his lips, he finds her watching the couple, with a look of longing in her eyes as a laugh left her mouth, did she wish to be loved like that as well? Laurel's face begins to grow hot and turn red. Quickly he distracted himself by starting to toss in the last of the letters, watching them burn while steadying his fast beating heart, he was thankful to the stars above when Quinn provided him with the perfect distraction.

"So, I know summer is still fairly far away but I was thinking you two could come camping with us. You can invite your buddies if you guys want as well."

Laurel cleared his throat and nodded at Quinn's offering.

"I would love to."

Alden smiled excitedly and clasped her hands together with a nod. Quinn smiled satisfied with the responses as he let himself let go of Calia who hummed and sat down on the couch. She looked up at the common room ceiling.

"We'll be seventh years soon."

The group sat in silence for a moment, Laurel letting it sink in how much time had passed since they first met, it didn't feel like two years ago nor even close to three. It had to have been just yesterday when they met, he was still first year, he had to be still just a first year. Alden burst into tears and wails to the astonishment of the other three students, she went to wipe her eyes with her sleeves dampening them over and over, Laurel set the letters down and rushed over to her and embraced her.

Laurel watched as Quinn had to hold back a laugh and Calia shot him a glare causing him to turn to the side as the older girl walked over and knelt in front of Alden and Laurel.

"What's wrong Alden?"

The girl sniffled and lifted her head slightly as Laurel reached into his pocket to pull out a handkerchief for Alden, gently pressing it to her cheeks.

"I want time to slow down, our years at Hogwarts are going by way too fast."

Alden gripped onto Laurel's shoulder with a bewildered look in her red teary eyes.

"Laurie, we will be taking our O.W.L.s in two years."

The thought hadn't crossed Laurel's mind until Alden had spoken it, as much as the thought of being able to get away from his father excited him, the idea of being on his own scared him. He heard a laugh leave Calia who placed her hands on both Alden and Laurel's shoulders prompting the pair of third years to look up at her.