✧ 11

The weekend following Goeun's party was thankfully uneventful and calm, allowing me to enter school on a good mind and average attitude

I had woken up early and decided to get to school on time today - being late too often can make people suspicious - allowing me to be there to witness the usual relaxed banter between students on a Monday morning.

The air was cool and dewy, and I still felt the uncomfortable tang of post-food on my tongue as I walked into the school, making me think that I should have brushed my teeth one more time before leaving.

My eyes gladly glided over Semi's locker, showing the absence of her and the other two, brightening up my face with the realisation that I had the rare opportunity to speak to Jaemi instead.

Without a second thought, I rushed over to her locker, my gaze instantly landing comfortably on her bright orange head of hair. A smile instinctually appeared on my face when I saw her, and I called out to her happily as I approached her.

"Jaemi!"

She turned around quickly, her glasses falling slightly out of position at the speed of her head turning, but she adjusted it quickly as she smiled back warmly and opened her arms for a hug.

"Hey, Hyewon."

The girl spoke softly, the satisfying tone of happiness still evident in her voice, filling me with joy as I hugged her tightly. It had been a week since I'd seen her, meaning I had no source of conversation aside from Semi, Goeun and Eunji.

"How was your nerd thingy?"

I asked teasingly, scrunching my nose a little. She cooed, holding onto my hands as we released each other from the hug.

"Aww, you missed me so much you remembered about my nerd thingy."

Jaemi swayed our arms gently, tilting her head with a smile on her face.

"I came second. I won a cool..."

She quickly let go of my hands and bent down to get something from her bag, dragging the word on in a dramatic manner.

"calculator!"

There was a silver calculator in her hand, one splayed out behind it as if it were the most beautiful thing ever. The smile on her face was priceless, and I wondered momentarily just how such polar opposites of the two of us managed to become best friends.

I moved my head around it, as if looking for something.

"Is there something cool behind it?"

Her smile faded quickly and she pulled the calculator out of the way, flashing her middle finger with her other hand.

"Like it?"

"Much better."

We both giggled as she closed her locker and we made our way down the hall, planning to drag out our time together until we had to split off to our different homerooms.