!2003! Dark! turtles & Stern/unhinged mother figure

((Warning!! Strong themes of murder, injury and mentions of suicide

((Warning!! Strong themes of murder, injury and mentions of suicide.))

Being ninja in new York is hard, no one even sleeps at night anymore. Over the years the amount of lights on in windows or people still out on the streets nearly tripled.

It's not like slipping unnoticed was harder for them..no, to be good at their job, going unnoticed was a necessity.

But what happens when a job goes south? Assassination attempts are always hit or miss, especially with the added criteria of each job.

Make it look like an accident

Drown him

Strangle her

Poison their drinks

It wasn't long before one of the people the turtles were sent in to kill was prepared. The target shot all of them once before he was taken care of.

Because it didn't look like a suicide they were going to loose a lot of money on this hit, and they were badly injured. Who knows when they could take a job to make up for it?

Leo carried Mikey- who had the worst of it- on his shoulders as Donnie and raph half carried each other.

The blood loss from the bullet wound on Leo's thigh was making him dizzy.

Adrenaline and shock had long since worn off, and it became harder and harder to not make sound while the pain the bullet wounds were giving sent jolts of agony in their respective wounds.

Leo leaned up against a wall, his head spinning as Mikey whimpered softly. Raph was shaking and his face was contorted in pain, while Donnie was struggling to stay conscious. Leo tried, he tried his hardest to stay awake and bring all his brothers to the lair..

But he had lost so much blood, and his eyelids grew heavy. Maybe just a nap to catch his breath, to forget about the pain in his thigh. A small nap wouldn't hurt....

* * * *

Waking up the first thing Donnie saw was an unfamiliar ceiling. Taking time to wake up fully, Donnie made sure to take in all his surroundings before he got up.

He couldn't tell if anyone was watching him, but instincts and training said that he needed to know ASAP.

The ceiling was cheap and old, random stains that hadn't been painted over. Cobwebs nestled into corners and the walls seemed to creak with the wind.

Donnie tried to get up, almost shouting out in pain as the bullet wound in his shoulder was stretched.

He thumped back down, out of breath and panting in pain.

Looking down he had a the indent of a tourniquet on his shoulder, along with bandages over the wound.

Where was he?

Who cleaned his wounds?

Turning his head over he saw Mikey laying on a cot, with much more bandages than him. Rolling the other way raph was beside him, bandages on his abdomen.

Donnie felt a pang of fear upon not spotting Leo immediately. He tried to get up again, slowly propping himself up on his uninjured arm and rolling that way.

Bullet wounds hurt like a bitch, but as far as he could tell the actual bullet had been removed too. To tell though, he would have to feel it, and he was going to need to be on something for that can of worms.

Donnie's feet met hardwood flooring that was slightly peeling in certain places. He strained his ears and pinpointed the sound of a woman talking and..was that Leo?

He crept out of the room, the floors not creaking once.

* * * *

"So..you took us in?"

Leo eyes the willowy woman up and down.

"Of course I did, do you see anyone else around?"

Leo was somewhat taken aback. According to the woman, they had passed out behind her backdoor and she had found them soon after when she was taking out her trash. She had dragged them inside, cleaned them up and put them in her spare room.

Leo didn't buy it.

She looked like a strong gust of wind could blow her over, and generally had just a shady vibe around her. It's not like she was living in the good part of the city either, this house was about two blocks away from the slums.

"How do I know your telling the truth."

The woman kept a unamused face.

"Ya can't. But I guess until those wounds get better you don't have much if a choice, do you? Didn't think so. Eat your dinner."

Leo glanced down to the microwave dinner and then back to her. Shuffling and stumbling noises came from the hallway and Leo got up, all but vaulting over the table.

"Donnie? What are you doing up you should be resting."

"I couldn't find you."

Donnie winced, panting from the effort and in pain from the injury. Leo's face softened and he led Donnie over to the saggy couch to sit down.

The woman watched them, concerned but not really showing it.

Leo addressed her again.

"You can't tell anyone about us."

"People in this building already think I sell crack, do you really think they would believe me even if I tried to rat you out?"

Leo just stared.

"Fine, I won't tell anyone about you or your brothers, swear."

Leo nodded walking up to her in the kitchen.

"...I am Leonardo and he is Donatello. The other two are Michaelangelo and Raphael."

"Classy. The name is eve, but when this is all over I suggest you forget that name."

"Same to you. We have never spoken after this."

"Deal."