29 Alexander

I sit down in the chair Bustrov offered me in his office.  I shift uncomfortably hoping he catches how much I don't want to be here. I don't want to be anywhere Juliette isn't. I remember the face she made when I told her I wouldn't be home tonight. It broke me; maybe it was because it'd be the first night we'd be apart, or maybe it was because she actually liked me being in her space. All hers. She asked me if I'd be all hers and I said yes. Will I still be her's when I'm married to another woman? Will she consider me hers if pictures are taken of me with another woman? My suit feels too tight and hot. I tug at my top button on my dress shirt. I am all hers. Juliette and Juliette only will ever have my heart. It's hers to do with as she pleases. It may not look like that but it certainly is.

"Vivian will be home soon. She's picking her shoes up from the jeweler today after her spa appointment. Everything will go as planned tonight and all of Las Vegas will see who my daughter will be wedded to come April 11th." he says slyly.

"I have to leave first thing tomorrow morning, Bustrov. I have a meeting."

"With who? Who is more important than your fiancé? It's not that dark-headed bitch, is it?"

What did he say? He couldn't possibly know. I'm always careful with showing Juliette's face in public. My heart feels like it's pumping funny and it's not getting the blood to my head like it should be.

"Yes, the dark-headed bitch. I know about her, Alexander. She's a pretty little thing you keep hidden. Not good enough though. You thought I didn't have anyone tailing you in motherfucking Boston? I can't have a boss embarrassing my family."

My heart plummets. That blood supply to my heart was no longer pumping to my brain shows its effect because I remained seated in silence. He can't know of my angel. The one thing I cherish most in this godforsaken world.

"Talk to me like that again and I will remind you of whose boss, Bustrov. You forget I am the reason you made that deal with my father. You forget I am the one that you fucking need to weld any sort of power." I grit out trying to remain calm before I reach across his desk and stop the blood flow to his head as well.

"And don't, for your own good, ever call her a dark-headed bitch again."

I stand up, button my suit coat, and walk toward his office door. I'm done with this fucking conversation.

"You can have her up until the day you marry Vivian. One more week. After that, you are to never see her again. Schitay yeye mertvoy, yesli uvidish' yeye snova posle svad'by, ukol."

The realization of his words halts my feet. I feel dizzy. Something is not right. My hand tightens on the cold door handle, somewhat balancing me.

"I'm boss, Bustrov. I don't kneel to you or any other as long as I am in my city."

"Try me, Alexander. And you will see it doesn't matter what city you rule."

I take a deep breath in. Don't make matters worse, Alexander. Walk out. Leave.

"I will be here for the dinner and will be leaving tonight. Be thankful I'm even here at all."

I walk out before I smash his face into his mahogany desk. Fuck him. Fuck his daughter and fuck this damn deal. Fuck Louis Van Doren for making this deal in the first place. I step outside and dial Bellamy for an update on my angel. I need to know she's ok. I need her to calm me down. only she can calm me down. Good thing I left Bellamy with her; if Bustrov knows we went out that night then he's probably got someone tailing her too. Fuck.

"Sir"

"Where is she?"

"Sitting in her apartment with a splay of what looks like Thanksgiving dinner for one"

Thanksgiving dinner for one? A splay? Was she cooking for more than one? Then it hits me; her expression this morning when I told her I wouldn't be home tonight. My lungs hurt. My heart hurts. My fucking head hurts. She was showing me, opening herself to me tonight and I bailed? I bailed on my angel for a woman I don't even want?

"She just placed some cranberry sauce on the table and is preparing what looks like mac'ncheese. She's odd, boss. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and she baked a turkey."

She baked a turkey? For me? For us? I vaguely hear a door close behind me as someone enters my peripheral vision.

"Get my jet ready" Fuck this dinner too.