23 Alexander

I stare down at Juliette as she sleeps peacefully next to me and smile. She's usually tossing and turning in bed but tonight she's passed out. I kiss her on her forehead and inhale her smell of apples. Her lips twitch and she grimaces. She must be having a bad dream. My thumb slowly runs over her top lip that's so perfectly carved into a cupids bow. How can something so perfect be held in my arms? I hear the familiar ring of my phone and ignore it. My chest feels tight again thinking about my agreement on meeting with William Bustrov this morning. The ringing stops but starts back up again. I kiss Juliette again before getting up to answer it.

"Better be good."

"I looked into De Grasso's death. No one was ever found responsible for the fire and seeing as he didn't have any siblings, no family is left. Everyone who lived on the estate died in the fire. It was a gas leak. There wasn't much that could be salvaged from the house but a couple of things in the kitchen and office. Elena Bonetti, age 38 when she died, was from a wealthy family. Her father was a Capo in Italy. Did they probably marry for resources? Possibly. Neither had any acute illnesses but, Alexander, there is one thing."

"What?"

"Elena was a type 1 diabetic."

My heart stops beating. That's not possible. My mind is running in circles with all possible scenarios. De grasso never had any children. It was always just him and Elena showing up at events. She wasn't with him often enough to the point that if she were missing for nine months, anyone would take notice though. I glance back at Juliette and find that she's still sleeping. I walk out to the living room before proceeding with the call.

"Find out everything you know about Elena Bonetti down to her Blood type. Any doctor visits."

"They had a private doctor who saw them on the estate apparently."

"Find him."

"Yes sir."

"I'll be heading out in ten minutes. I'll meet you at Chops."

I hang up and walk back to Juliette's room, stopping in the doorway to stare at her. What is my little angel hiding?

I'm sitting at the bar when I feel the presence of William Bustrov. My stomach clenches at the sight of seeing him and something feels unfamiliar in my chest when I remember what his presence brings with him.

"Alexander, long time no see. Don't make it a habit. Especially since we are family."

" Not yet"

" Excuse me?"

" We're not family yet."

He lets out a sarcastic laugh.

"Hold up your end of the deal, son." he says blankly.

It wasn't my deal. It was my fathers. My hands shake. Even the 3 glasses of whiskey I tossed back aren't helping.

"Have a seat. Let's talk, shall we?" I utter.

"This has been strung on long enough. You hold your end of the deal or I come clean."

"Alright, alright. Let's not get hasty, William. We both already know your precious Vivian will get what she wants."

"April 11th. That's the date. Vivian has always wanted a Spring wedding."

April? That's less than a fucking month away. That feeling in my chest becomes heavier and for the first time ever, I wish I were born into a different life. One where I could love Juliette so freely. But even I don't think I can save myself from this deal since the man that made it is rotting 6 feet underground. I picture Juliettes face. God, I love her face. Especially her eyes. and her lips, those lips that I could kiss for days-no, years.

"That's soon, isn't it? How will it be enough time to plan everything?"

"It's a fucking wedding, Alexander. Vivian can probably have it planned within a week. She's requested for some time for her dress to be finished up though. Something about final details and all of that."

I can't breath at the mention of the word dress. A dress that my Juliette won't be in. I don't know what this feeling is, longing? Sadness? Whatever the fuck it is, I despise it. I never want to feel it again.

At my hesitancy, William speaks up again.

"I have your fathers fucking blood oath to carry this damn deal through, Alexander Van doren. You know what's at stake here, don't you?"

My hand tightens around the cup of whiskey. Of course, I fucking do. I'm part of the fucking deal. If it weren't for William only having daughters and my father not being a greedy son of a bitch, I wouldn't be here.

Past- 9 years earlier

It's done. My fate is sealed with Vivian Bustrova, eldest daughter of Las Vegas'underboss, William Bustrov. I've never seen her, let alone met her. All I know is that she's 18 years old and is attending Yale this year as a freshman. Oh, also, that her fathers a prick; none different than mine. Strong hands wrap around the back of my neck.

"How does it sound, Alexander? To be a real man?" Mr. Bustrova says looking at me.

I don't respond, confused by what he's referring to.

"You'll like my Vivian. She's quiet but obedient. She'll make a good wife."

My father and Mr. Bustrov shake hands. I'm not sure why I was pulled into my fathers office but upon my entrance, the two were signing papers. I don't know what my dad did this time, but he's always making deals to get us out of trouble. More often with the wrong people than the right.

"I'll be in contact shortly and we'll set something up between the two of you. Vivian will be excited." Mr. Bustrov says before leaving.

He closes the door after himself leaving Da and me in his office.

"Speak like a man, Alexander. Boston's future boss can't have a pussy like you as boss if you can't even speak to your future father-in-law properly."