24 Juliette

It's been almost two weeks of working at the diner with Lena and as much as I love the people there, I don't love the income. I tightly hold the envelope with the $2,000.00 I have for my insulin this morning. I had just enough to hold me over until yesterday afternoon. I walk up to the counter and see an unfamiliar face. 

" Hey uh, is Jackson here?"

"Hey, Jackson actually isn't. Is there anything I can help you with though?"

Jackson was honestly the only one I ever spoke to here because he understood my situation. I pay for my supplies out of pocket, which, most pharmacies didn't find interest in.

"Actually, do you know when Jackson will be back? It's kind of a personal preference" I offer nicely without sounding too snooty.

"He won't be back for a while. He resigned last week."

Shit, Why? Jackson was easier to talk to. I don't know if this guy, Teddy, will be as friendly with my situation. But I need my insulin. Fuck Diabetes.

"Um, well, in that case, I'm here to pick up my insulin and lancets. It's for Heaven James."

He goes back to typing.

"Alright, let me go grab everything. Give me one minute."

I nervously crinkle the dollar bills in my right hand. I hope this guy is okay with my cash.

"Alright, here's your insulin and the package of lancets." he says while scanning and then bagging them up. He hands the bag over with a receipt. What? Did I doze off into LaLa land and not hear him ask for my payment?

"Um, how much is it?"

"Oh, it's been paid already. But your total was $2306.79. It looks like your medications have been put on a credit card until the end of the year. It's card ending in 7506?"

Credit card? Heaven James doesn't have a fucking credit card on her. She never has.

"Oh, ok. Thanks."

7506? I walk out of the pharmacy in disbelief. Whose card do I have on my account? I try to filter through who would do such a gesture but it doesn't take me very long when the only people I even really talk to are Lena, Bobby, and Alexander. Lena probably wouldn't know about my health condition and Bobby doesn't know me well enough so that leaves Alexander. But, I never told him either.

I lock the door behind me and start taking off my apron. 

" Hey, baby."

I look over to my right at Alexander leaning against the counter. He's wearing black dress pants, a dark gray fleece turtleneck and black Tom Ford loafers. He looks so handsome, so out of place in my dingy, small apartment. This has been what I come home to every night for the past two weeks. Seeing him automatically brings me some sense of comfort. A foreign feeling. 

" Hey."

"What's wrong?"

"Did you pay for my insulin?"

"Oh yeah, at the CVS across the street?"

"How did you even know I need insulin? Alexander, this-this is crazy. Why would you do that?"

"Because, I want to take care of you." he says shrugging his shoulder like it's nothing. 

"We aren't even dating. Why would you want to do that?"

He stares at me not saying anything. My breathing gets heavier. I-I don't know what to feel. Nobody does anything nice unless they expect a favor in return. He wants something from me, doesn't he? God, I knew this was too good to be true. 

"Baby, when are you going to understand that I just want to take care of you? I just- I don't want you to have to worry about it by yourself anymore." he says walking closer, his hands cup my face gingerly.

"But why? I've offered you nothing."

"Oh, you have, Juliette. Far more than I have ever and will ever deserve" he whispers. His lips lightly caress mine. His hands circle my waist and drawn me in closer to him. We're so close we share the same breath as he stares down at me.

"Can you just let me? Take care of you?"

It's been so long since someones offered me that. I've always thought that it would just be me caring for myself and to be honest, I've done a pretty crappy job of it lately. 

"Don't think too much about it, ok?"

"You don't want anything in return?" I ask hesitantly. Please say no. Please tell me you just want to care for me because you want to. Please don't ask anything of me. He offers me a small sad smile.

"My angel. I just want you. Nothing else."

He leans down to kiss me again. I don't even have enough of myself to give you, Alexander.