The Night Before Maria

Lando sat in a room with all of the Scout's top captains, they were discussing retaking Wall Maria. Levi and Lando were sitting off to the side.

"In other words, Eren's father, Grisha Yaeger...is likely a human who came from outside the walls," Erwin said.

"Yes," Hange replied. "Just like Annie, Berthold, and Reiner, he possessed the power of the Titans. But different from those three he was supportive of humanity within the walls."

"If he was so interested to know about the Scouts and such, we could've used more support of his." An officer added.

Lando felt an elbow hit him from his side and looked over at his Dad.

"Pay attention," Levi said.

Lando sighed he was letting his mind wander because they had been talking about nothing for about 30 minutes now.

"I wonder..." Hange said. "From the moment he entered the walls, he was searching for the royal family all alone, I'm sure. And that...That's something you do not do without incredible resolve. That same father wanted to show his 10-year-old son, eager to join the Scouts, the basement of their house."

Lando looked over at his father who was staring at the ground thinking.

"On death's door, he said the truth of it all was...in the basement. What in the world do you think is down there?" Hange asked.

Lando thought about it, he would guess something to end all the Titans but it could be Grisha's favorite cookie recipe as well.

"Things which mustn't be said,'' Erwin said. "No...things Grisha Yaeger couldn't say even if he wanted to. That which the first king Reiss wiped from our memories...memories of our world...is what I hope but... Pondering about it here won't accomplish much. The preparations are finished today. The operation to retake Wall Maria starts in two days. Want to know what's in the basement? Let's go see for ourselves. Isn't that what Scouts do? Let all your squads know."

"Right, keeping it a secret of course, yeah?" An officer said.

"On a day like this, we deserve some meat, right?" Another said.

"Good idea." The officer said. "Gotta show those kids us adults gotta be counted on."

"What about Commander Sadies keeping secrets from us?" An officer asked.

"Forget about him," Hange said. "We don't have time to deal with him."

"I'm shocked Hange." A female officer said. "You used to adore him!"

"Shut up!" Hange said.

Lando was about to walk out with the other when his Dad grabbed him and shut the door with his back.

"What is it, Levi? Lando?" Erwin asked.

"It's a bit hasty but..." Levi said. "What will you do after retaking Wall Maria? I'd guess a defense plan comes first, but...After that?"

"Eliminating threats," Erwin said. "Outside the walls, there seems to be someone hoping the Titans will eat us all. Of course, the answer to who's in the basement, I imagine. It's as I said earlier. We'll plan that after the basement."

"I'm asking this because you might not live that long," Levi said. "You can't exactly move like you used to."

Lando looked over at Erwin's missing arm.

"Let Hange call the shots," Levi said. "You'll just be dead weight. Let the good news come to you. We'll tell the others I argued till you gave in. No...that's actually what I intend. Fine with that?"