Mountain hikes - Lia Wälti

*

You met her in the mountains.

You knew who the other was of course, her being a footballer and you an alpine skier, both having represented your country on the national and worldwide stage so it was no surprise to find the other enjoying the fresh air.

Springtime meant it was your first visit up the mountain since the season concluded whereas Lia was taking a break from the strain of the national team and was looking to find some peace in the breathtaking views.

Despite having never really spoken, apart from the odd word at a gala every now and then, the Arsenal midfielder asked if she could join you on your current course and you happily agreed, falling into step as you traversed the winding path.

It wasn't a coincidence that the next time you climbed the all too familiar route that you found Lia waiting by the gate, her hair pulled back into the bubble braid you would come to adore so much in future, her skin glowing in the spring sunshine.

You loved everything about being outdoors and would often get lost in the beauty of the little things that you couldn't admire when participating in your sport, your companion watching on with a smile as you stopped to take in every little flower, every stream, every tree or bush.

The woman shared your love for the smaller things in life and whenever you set off together into the heavens, her camera roll was full of the same flowers you admired or the winding river below, however the more time you spent together, the more said camera roll started to include pictures of you.

In the beginning it was simply photos of the scenery or the path ahead where you just happened to be in frame but it quickly became more personal and eventually evolved into you smiling into the camera as Lia hoped to capture how your eyes twinkled or how the sun bounced off your skin.

Those were your favourite moments, the times when you could get away from your hectic schedules, although yours was always quieter in the spring and steal away hours in the places you loved.

Your first visit London however, you felt like a fish out of water, so used to the quiet and stillness of the mountains as even on race days they had their moments of silence, the hustle and bustle of the city a major shock to your system.

It was the midfielders home away from home and you tried your best to adapt, after all you had the feeling you would be visiting a lot more. You even braved the cold and rain, venturing out to Meadow Park with your new purchase, which was received with a dazzling smile, hidden under your coat ready to surprise the older woman at full time.

Lia often shared your feelings of restlessness, shared your longing to breathe in the alpine air again and throughout your relationship, would hurry you out onto the hiking paths as soon as you returned home, bags still packed and discarded by the door in favour of the air you both craved.

*