Why didn't you call? - Lauren Hemp

Prompt - reader moves to Manchester and has a rather unwelcoming reunion with their best friend.

*

You hadn't missed the rain.

No that was something you gladly left behind when you moved to Florida, the almost endless days of sunshine feeling like a huge luxury compared to the dreary streets of your previous home in Bristol.

Your time at FSU however, had been cut short when City showed an interest in you and you decided to do what your teammates collectively called a 'Mal Pugh' and leave your full time education to play professionally.

Of course you were planning to keep up with your degree in Manchester, that was one of the reasons you agreed to join the club, because you knew from second hand experience how great they were at making sure you had one eye on football and one eye on your future away from the pitch.

As the taxi pulled into the complex, your heart rate started to race at the thought of having to introduce yourself to your teammates and having to build those social connections with a new group of people again.

You'd gotten used to playing and being around your old teammates that you were unsure of how things would pan out here.

"You ready?".

Your agent's voice breaks through the noise and you give her a hasty nod before leaving the vehicle.

As soon as you step inside the CFA, you feel at home, there is something about it that you can't place your finger on, but you already know you are going to be comfortable here.

"Hi Y/N? I'm Gavin, welcome to Manchester City. It's a pleasure to finally meet you face to face".

"Likewise".

The smile doesn't leave your face as you are shown upstairs or while you sign the three year contract, the window giving a tantalising view of the stadium you can't wait to play in.

*

An interview and photoshoot later, you finally get the chance to meet up with your teammates, manager and the rest of the coaching staff, "they're eating at the moment but I'm sure they won't mind a quick introduction" Gavin smiles.

He pulls open the door in the cafeteria and allows you to step into the noisy space.

A hush falls over everyone, forks dropping to plates as they all stop what they were doing to stare at you intently, the unwanted attention causing you to shuffle your feet, "guys this is Y/N Y/L/N. She is joining us from Florida State University on a three year deal. Please make her feel welcome".

Your eyes scan over the group as the silence continues for just a second before Steph is the first one over, congratulating you on the move and letting you know, that if there's anything you need, she will be there to help you.

"Thank you".

"My pleasure, that's what I'm here for" she smiles.

Gareth also introduces himself, as does the assistant manager before you're left to your own devices with the rest of your new teammates, taking a place at the bench next to Steph.

"Holy shit, Hempo's as white as a sheet".

Your eyes follow the voice and come to rest on Keira, the midfielder's own gaze on that of your former teammate at Bristol, who's staring fixedly at her food.

"Keira, don't tease".

Steph gives her a warning stare as Lauren pushes her plate away and hastily leaves the room.

"What was that about?" Georgia asks.

You already know the answer, excusing yourself from the group and exiting via the same door in an attempt to find the forward. Luckily she hasn't gone too far into the maze of corridors you are yet to learn about and you find her slumped on the ground, head in her hands.

You are unsure about approaching her, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable, so you take a seat a little further along the wall.

"Why are you here?".

Lauren's voice is soft and you almost miss the question.

"I came to see if you were ok" you reply, eyes fixed on the blank wall opposite.

She sighs, "no why are here? Why City?" she asks and you frown at the apparent hurt in her voice, "I knew I never wanted to go into the draft or the NWSL. City offered me the chance to play professionally while continuing my degree and I knew I couldn't say no after hearing so many good things from Esme".

"You spoke to Esme?".

She sounds surprised this time, but it's still laden with hurt, "yeah I did. She pretty much convinced me..." you hesitate, a confession that would possibly change your friendship forever hanging on the tip of your tongue.

"And the fact I would be playing with you again" you admit.

The hallway is silent accept for the sounds of yours and Lauren's fast breathing, both of you convinced that the other can hear how fast your hearts are racing. You slowly turn your head and move your gaze away from the wall to Lauren, inhaling sharply when your eyes meet hers, the forward already looking at you intently.

"Why didn't you keep in touch?" she asks.

"Honestly... I don't know".

It's your turn to hang your head, hair covering your face, unable to see Lauren's expression change from one of anger to one of sadness or her thought process when she reaches out to touch you but thinks the better of it.

You can't believe how the day has turned out, yet you knew what you were getting into when you agreed to join the club, you knew the consequences that would come of not staying in touch with your best friend and then meeting the way you had.

Moving the hair out of your face, you put on your best fake smile and stand up, brushing some dust off your jeans.

"I'm going to go".

Without looking back, you turn and walk towards the cafeteria, refusing to turn around when you hear Lauren call out your name or even when she starts to sob, the pain too much to bear and knowing that if you turned around, it wouldn't do the either of you a world of good.

*