Running away pt. 2 - Jenni x Alexia

Prompt - the reconciliation period is not going as well as expected.

*

Several months had passed since Jenni left and then returned, the forward happy to pay the hefty fine, as long as she was staying at Barca and getting the chance to work on her relationship with its captain.

Alexia meanwhile took longer to warm to the idea than most expected, being civil to Jenni for the sake of the team environment and training was still the same, the connection the pair shared was still present but it never showed off the pitch.

The Champions League final was approaching as was the anniversary of Alexia's fathers passing and Jenni knew that.

She had known her long enough to know that the week leading up to the actual day was sometimes worse than the day itself.

The midfielder would close herself off from everyone around her, refusing to sit in silence by starting a conversation or listening to music because if she was left alone with her thoughts, her emotions would spill over and she would rather talk than let people see her at her most vulnerable.

"How are things going with Ale?" Lola asks one evening during their FaceTime, "I'm seeing pictures of you guys looking all happy on the pitch, but that's not the case is it?".

Jenni shakes her head, "she still won't forgive me. She's putting on a face for the sake of the team but I can see it's eating her up inside" she replies.

"There's dark circles under her eyes every morning and it looks like it's a struggle to even get into training, let alone compete and we need her" she sighs.

"Her eyes are dull. There's no sparkle, no light in them. Plus the anniversary is coming up..." Jenni trails off, thinking of all the previous anniversaries they've spent together, usually holed up in bed until Alexia can't face it anymore and she calls her mother and Alba.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure this wasn't how you expected it to go, but you've got to understand where's she coming from this time".

Jenni nods, "of course I do. I overstepped, it's a black mark too many and I may never get her back" she frowns and Lola sighs, "I think that's taking it a bit far. I think you're at a point in you're relationship where you need to decide what you want".

"I know what I want. I want her, I thought that was obvious?" Jenni laughs.

"Sadly it's not that easy, is it? Or everyone would be doing it".

The forward sinks further into the sofa, feeling more and more defeated by the minute, "I honestly don't know how to go about it anymore. Nothing I do will help her change her mind" she admits.

"I know it's hard, but maybe start by talking to her, find out what it is she wants. You're not going to get anywhere if you carry on as you are and don't talk about it" Lola says.

There's some background noise on the keepers end and she talks to someone off camera for a moment before returning her attention.

"I have to go. Carmen just made dinner. Please talk to her Jenni. I love you, don't mess this up".

*

They lost and they lost badly.

Everyone is still in a state of shock and a week later, it's hanging over the team like a cloud because in Jenni's eyes, the whole game was a shambles, none of them putting in enough fight for the trophy they wanted so badly, herself included.

The sight of Alexia sobbing on the pitch will be forever etched in her mind and the feeling that she couldn't do anything to help will always accompany it.

Like her teammates, she had tried to console the midfielder once they were back at the hotel and even on the flight home, but Alexia has retreated into herself and didn't once remove the sunglasses shielding her eyes; an indication of the sobs that Jenni heard throughout the night.

She still hasn't spoken to her the way Lola implied and the forward knew she was running out of time before they went away to recharge ahead of the Euros.

As the team paraded around the pitch with the Copa de La Reina trophy, Jenni could see Alexia was itching for a break away from prying eyes.

She could see the tension the captain held in her shoulders and the smiles that didn't quite reach her eyes as they celebrated.

"Ale can we talk?".

Jenni approaches her carefully, aware that the fans were watching and not wanting to add fuel to the fire about their relationship, "I don't know Jenni. Today isn't a good day for me, you should know that..." she trails off.

"I know, lo siento".

She falls behind and rejoins Jana and Clàudia, throwing her arms around the youngers shoulders and kissing their temples in turn, "if this is a goodbye... dios mío" Jana says.

"I wasn't planning on it" Jenni replies.

*

Somewhere down the hall from the changing room, Alexia's heart is breaking as sobs rack her body.

All the emotion and weight on her shoulders from recent events pouring out, the fact that they lost in Turin, the constant pain of not having her father around to witness her success, the fact it had been ten years since he passed, all leaving her at her most vulnerable.

Head against the wall, eyes closed, she doesn't see Jenni approaching her but she feels her presence, knees buckling just as the forward reaches her, wrapping her arms around her.

"It's ok. I've got you Ale".

Jenni sinks to the floor with the midfielder, holding her, running a hand through her hair, kissing her temple, all things Alexia won't admit she loves or that make her feel safe.

She fists at Jenni's shirt, needing to ground herself to the taller woman despite the arms wrapped her.

"Have you seen your mum and Alba?" she asks softly, brushing hair away from Alexia's face and the captain shakes her head.

"Do you think it would help?".

"I don't know".

Her voice is hoarse from all the crying and as she lifts her head, Jenni can't help but notice how red her eyes are, "I think you should...".

"Will you come with me?" Alexia asks shyly.

"Siempre".

Jenni helps Alexia off the floor and wipes away any leftover tears, giving her hand a quick squeeze before following her back outside.

*