New home pt. 4

*

The past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions, everything from confusion to anger, anger to sadness, sadness to anxiety and back again.

Leila has not surprisingly been radio silent and Mapi has started to get that way too, so much so that you even went round to her apartment to check on her and either she wasn't there or she wanted you to think she wasn't.

So when you hear a key in the lock and someone push the front door open, it comes as a shock when the Barcelona player wanders into your living room, as calm as can be while your body slowly fills with anxiety.

"What are you doing here?".

"I came to pick up some things, is that ok?".

To your surprise, she meets your eyes and doesn't waiver, "not really. I would have preferred if you let me know first" you reply, now dropping your gaze and fiddling with the cushion in your lap, "I'm just gonna..."

Mapi exits the room and heads towards the bathroom, where you hear her banging around for a good five minutes trying to find something.

"Do you need some help?" you call out, but get nothing in reply so figure she's found whatever she wanted, the banging continuing until it finally stops and she reappears, bag in hand.

"Find everything?".

She nods and the battle that started when she walked through the door, finally wins out, "how've you been?" you ask hoping to understand but all she can do is shrug, "have you seen Leila?" you ask again and this time Mapi glares at you.

"Ok, sorry touchy subject" you mutter Mapi still watching you but now shuffling her feet, clearly nervous and the tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife, thoughts swirling in your head until you can't hold them in any longer, "why have you been avoiding me?" you blurt, "I've tried texting you, I even came round to your apartment but you weren't there...".

Mapi remains silent, "I don't know what else to say to you María. Why do I feel like it's either Leila or me and why do I feel as though you're choosing her. Why do I feel like I'm being cast aside?" your voice is raised now and you can hear your heartbeat in your ears.

"She's my best friend!" she shouts, not thinking twice about responding, "I will always choose her over anybody" her words hit you like a punch, winding you and you could have sworn you stumbled a little, anger flashing across Mapi's eyes as she stares you down.

"I can't do this" she sighs.

"It's over" she turns on her heels and walks away, leaving you in the same spot Leila left her just a week before, feeling your walls come crashing down around you as you sink to the floor in floods of tears.

*

"You're working yourself too hard chica" Vicky tuts disapprovingly, "look at you. You're pale, you're losing weight, you're hair is a mess, you've got bags under your eyes, not to mention the sparkle you usually have has disappeared".

"Jesus Vicky, way to make a girl feel special".

You could laugh at how just a week ago, you were crying alone on your living room floor in Spain and now you were back in Manchester, listening to the midfielder tell you how tired you looked.