Tree of Souls (I)

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

Dad helped me slowly to stand up. I didn't know what he was up to but I didn't really feel like it. "Dad...I'm not really in the mood for this..." I said with a sad voice. "Please trust me." Hesitantly, I finally gave in and nodded. "Where are we even going?" "You'll see when we get there." He gave me a warm smile and took my hand. "Come." He pulled me lovingly outside.

After days, I felt the warm sand under my feet again and saw the other houses of the Metkayina. I had to admit that the new view was minimally distracting. "We're going to fly a bit." My father said as he looked down at me briefly and then pointed to his Ikran, which was already ready. I really wondered what he was up to, but said nothing and followed him silently. When we arrived, he helped me to climb onto the animal's back and shortly afterwards sat behind me on the saddle. "Are you ready?" He asked, touching me lightly on the shoulder. I slid my body into a more comfortable position until I finally gave him a sign that he could fly off.

With a little scream, the Ikran pushed himself off the ground and soared into the air.

...

During the flight, I watched the rocky landscapes and coral reefs rushing past. In different circumstances, the view would have been even more beautiful and simply breathtaking, but now I couldn't really concentrate on it.

I yawned and realized how exhausted I actually was. No wonder I hadn't slept in a few days.

...

I sensed that we were almost there. Dad steered his Ikran in a different direction and we slowly lost height. Behind huge rock arches, an empty area suddenly appeared in the water. Such a large area was somehow conspicuous. But then I recognized lights under the water. It seemed as if there was a huge glowing ball under the sea. "What is that?" I asked confused, and turned to my dad. "Wait and see." He replied calmly and smiled. In the next moment he was getting ready to land. "Hold on tight, we're going down."

I did what he said. Dad headed for a small rock that was sticking out of the water. Then we landed on it, not far from the glowing water. "We have to jump now." I looked down and realized that the jump was quite far. "Are you sure?" I asked as I jumped off the ikran. I didn't feel like jumping down there at all. "Yeah, that's the only way... We'll jump together all right?" He had obviously heard my discomfort in my voice.

I nodded and took his hand. "On three." Dad looked down at me. "One...two...three!" With one leap, we jumped down the cliff together and landed in the water shortly afterwards.

When the cold water suddenly surrounded me, the image of the burning ship flashed before my mind's eye. How dad had jumped into the sea with me in his arms, seconds before it could explode.

When I emerged, I was back in the here and now and took a deep breath. "Are you okay y/n?" My father looked at me with a scrutinizing gaze, as he brushed his dripping hair out of his face. "Yeah I'm fine." I replied and noticed that the water here was very different to the reef. So calm somehow.

Dad nodded and gestured towards the glowing water. Then we swam off together.

...

My curiosity was slowly growing as to what he was up to. I had never been to this place before and I finally wanted to know what was going on.

We were getting closer and closer to the rays. "We have to dive now. You'll get your breath back at the bottom... more or less." I looked at him confused. "More or less? I wasn't actually planning to drown here today." I immediately fell silent. That didn't sound so bad in the current situation. No I wasn't allowed to think like that. I quickly shooed the thought out of my head. Then I saw Dad start to smile. "Believe me babygirl, you won't. You'll understand what I mean when you're down there."

I nodded. Of course I trusted my dad 100%. "Okay." He nodded too and together we dived down.

When I opened my eyes under water, they were burning and it took a moment before I could see halfway clearly. But what I then recognized simply amazed me. What I had previously seen as a huge glowing ball, now turned out to be a giant plant. At least I thought so. I tried to work out what it could be, but I couldn't figure it out. I had never seen anything like that before. It reminded me a little of our tree of souls at home. But it actually looked completely different.

When I reached the bottom, Dad gave me a sign that I should take my braid in my hand and connect with the plant. I looked at him in amazement. Of course, I couldn't ask why. I could only see that he insisted and I also noticed that I was gradually running out of breath.

So I picked up my braid and headed for it. I hesitated for a moment, but finally I connected...

The familiar feeling came over me like a flash of lightning. I closed my eyes and didn't have time to realize anything. The next moment, I suddenly found myself standing on a small elevation (< I didn't known the right word) in the forest. "And now y/n?" I was slightly startled and couldn't believe the voice I heard. My heart was pounding fast as I slowly turned around and looked into Miles questioning face.

I was overwhelmed and couldn't stop myself as I started to cry. "Hey hey y/n why are you crying?" Slight concern was visible on his face. I slowly remembered that moment. There I had insisted on introducing Miles to Eywa. "No..I don't..I uh just have something in eye." I tried to pull myself together and wiped the tears from my face. "O-okay." He looked at me confused and seemed nervous. Just like before, we were eye to eye and not far apart. "You said you wanted to show me something?" My eyes widened. "Oh yeah sorry...uhm you need your braid." I held out my hand and he handed it to me. I gently stroked the braided hair. "Y/n?" "Yeah? Oh uhm...don't be frightened." He looked at me awkwardly. "Why would-." Suddenly he gasped and closed his eyes. Just like before, he reacted immediately when I connected him to the plant. I smiled and watched him with wide eyes. More tears slowly ran down my face. I touched his hand and stroked it lovingly. Miles didn't even notice, he was definitely distracted...

I tried to concentrate but somehow I couldn't manage it. "I miss you so much..."

And with these words, the image changed and I was pulled back into the sea. I untied the bond with the tree of souls and opened my eyes. I now knew that this huge plant was this tree, because only this one had the power to show memories like this. I also realized now what Dad meant because of the breathing. While I was connected to the tree, I didn't have to take a breath. He gave me the strength.

I cried and looked at my father, who looked at me with pity. Then, without further ado, he pointed upwards and together we swam back to the surface.

Once there, I gasped for air and continued to sob. I tried to calm down again while Dad gave me a quick hug. "Thank you." I said quietly. "Of course...I'm so proud of you..." He replied and detached from me again.

"Come on. Let's fly home..."

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

//Hope you liked it. See u soon. (1334 words)//