Sky People (Edited)

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

Weeks passed. Everything was calm and had returned to normal. Almost. The thirst for answers worsened. The longer I sat around and did nothing.

...

"Y/n faster we have to be done by noon today." "I know Lo'ak thanks for the information." I returned annoyed and looked over at Kiri who was also rolling her eyes. "Hey he's right I don't feel like being late again." Interjected Neteyam and I sighed. We washed ourselves in a lake a little further away in the forest. There we had our peace from the other clan members and were undisturbed. The weekly hunt was coming up. For this we had to be clean and have our hunting paint on. Tuk was not there she was still too small.

After what felt like an eternity, we were done. Kiri and I had painted as always my little brothers because they were something..., well say we clumsy in the whole thing. Afterwards we had both carried us mutually the color on the skin. "So now fast." I ordered. Startled, they all 3 looked at me with big eyes. Their ears twitched. "What, what is it?" I asked worriedly. Now I heard it too. Engine noises, but only an engine. Kiri sniffed the air. "They're not far away, and not many." My gaze wandered to Lo'ak and Neteyam. These were already exchanging knowing glances. "Oh no you won't!" Said Kiri energetically. "We're going to do that." Said Lo'ak with a smile on his lips. To my surprise I didn't think it was a bad idea either although I should be the one to approve it the least. Especially since I should be the oldest and therefore the most reasonable.

"Come!" And that's it. My two brothers already sneaked off. "Y/n say something?!" Aghast Kiri looked at me. I tightened my lips and formed a 'sorry'. "Hey what the- argh?" I turned away from her and followed Lo'ak.

...

"Oh man we're gonna get in so much trouble." Whispered Kiri behind me as we crept toward the sounds. "Shh." Came from the front. The noise got louder until I could make out voices. "There they are!" Sheltered in the thicket, we watched the sky people. "Ohhhh shit." Whispered Neteyam. With curiosity I noticed every movement of them. "Marines, we'll stay here for now, maybe we'll find something. Do you have the picture?" I heard them say. The strange machine was turned off. "We shouldn't be here." I whispered. Now I felt queasy, too. "Why it's just little sky people? With weird masks." "Still y/n is right let's go back." Lo'ak agreed with me. Surprised, I looked over at him. He just rolled his eyes. Kiri turned to leave and stepped on a small branch that cracked. Startled, we held our breath and wheeled around. "What was that! Check it out!" I heard one of the sky people yelling. "Quick!" I whispered. As quickly and quietly as we could, we scurried back to the lake, grabbed our things, and ran back home.

-
"Slow down there could be anything. You're cleared to fire if anything should happen!" The soldiers approached the thicket with their weapons. With a jerk they knocked the bushes to the side but found nothing. "Keep moving!" The leader ordered, giving a hand signal. "Sir, I've got something that might be interesting!" The others hurried to join them. "There." He pointed to the ground. "Na'vi footprints three different sizes and-." He paused. "A human one." The leader nodded and tapped his radio. "Colonel Quaritch? We've got her..."
-

...

"Bro, that was just in time!" Said Lo'ak, out of breath. "And not a word to Dad." "There you are, we almost left without you!" Exclaimed my father. "Now hurry up! Are all the warriors ready?" "EYEYEYEYE!" Shouted half the clan, following my dad into the forest.

The hunt went on as usual. We traced a trail and tracked down our victim. This time Kiri shot her first animal herself and thanked Eywa for it afterwards. Proudly my father praised her and carried our prey home.

The best cooks processed the whole animal and the clan had enough to eat for a week.

When the evening came and there was time to think again, I thought more and more about going back to the sky people. I just had to look at them again. I mean I'm one of them. Right?...

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

//I'm going to the cinema again today to see Quaritch I'm crying. What do you think she's gonna do? (750 words) //