Fight for life and death

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

-
Excitedly, the colonel flew through the air with his marines. He had never felt such fear as he did now. It was hard to see anything through the dense treetops. He was blind.
-

Horrified that everything had suddenly gone quiet, I gathered my last strength and dragged myself out of the cave. Groaning in pain, I slowly limped outside. Again and again I had to brace myself against the wall. Then I recognized the soldiers as they landed on the ground and swarmed out. Breathing heavily, I kept myself on my feet and looked around.

"Y/N!" I turned my head in the direction from which the voice came. Miles frantically jumped off his banshee and ran towards me. "Miles I-." I contorted my face and couldn't hold on any longer. I fell to the ground even before he reached me. I gasped for air. "Y/n easy! Jesus! Shit! Shit!" I saw Quaritch above me, kneeling down and lifting my torso up a little toward him. I could only perceive everything in a blur, but I could still feel the pain quite clearly. The more the adrenaline left me, the more intense it became. I groaned. "I know it hurts I know!" His voice broke and sounded desperate. "I'm sorry y/n! I'm sorry for hitting you! Please stay awake! Stay awake!" I heard him shout. Despite my condition, the feeling of warmth briefly overcame me. I felt dizzy and panicked. Coughing, I clung to Quaritch's arm. "Please- I- I don't wanna die..." My voice broke. "You won't! I won't let you! Quick Z-Dog help me tie it off!" I looked up at Miles in fear. Our eyes met briefly and I could really see genuine concern in his face. Slowly my strength left me and I lowered my arm again. It was too exhausting. Everything seemed like an echo to me. I saw some soldiers sitting around me, fiddling around. "I have to put you down y/n this is going to hurt!" A twinge ran through my body as I felt the ground beneath my back. I groaned and contorted my face again. "I know. I know I'm sorry! It'll stop in a minute!" I heard his desperate voice. I felt him press his hands on my wounds and in panic I realized everything went black slowly. "Miles I- I don't feel so good..."

-
Quickly, the Colonel's gaze wandered back to
y/n when he heard her whimper. "Y/n no no no hey stay with me!" He shouted while patting her cheek. "Really I'm..." Was the only thing her body could get out until she closed her eyes powerlessly. "Y/N! SHIT!" Briefly he tried to calm down but it didn't work at all. Panic-stricken, he looked in a flash at his soldier-paramedic. He noticed his look and understood. "I'll be ready in a minute, sir! I'll just put in a quick IV and then we need to go as fast as we can!" Miles' eyes drifted back to the motionless
y/n. He had never been so afraid for a person before, but he didn't care who saw it now. Only one thing mattered and that was saving her. "Will she make it!?" He asked hopefully. The paramedic breathed in frantically. "She's badly hurt. But if we're fast enough we might have a chance!" He looked at him with wide eyes. "Then what the hell are we sitting around for?! Let's go!"

The access to y/n's vein was in place and everything was ready to go. Carefully, Miles lifted her up in a breeding still. Like a wet sack, the young woman hung in his arms. He carried her, as quickly as he could, to his banshee. However, getting himself and a second injured person up there was not as easy as he thought. "Wait sir I'll help you." The Colonel turned and looked into the face of Lyle. He hesitated at the sight of him. Of course he hadn't forgotten what he had done to her. "There's no time for that now! Give her to me boss quick!" Demandingly, he held out his hands. Reluctantly, Miles placed her in Lyle's arms.

He had swung onto his banshee's back and linked. "Give me her!" He commanded, holding his hands out to Lyle. The latter lifted y/n upward to the avatar and placed her, between his legs, on the beast. The Colonel put his arm around the little body and held it tightly so it couldn't fall off. To the side, y/n's head and upper body leaned against his belly. The legs were laid over his right thigh.

"Okay go!" He shouted and his banshee frantically lifted off the ground.

...

After what felt like an eternity, the colonel had arrived at headquarters and stormed in the main door of the hospital wing. "Quick! I need help! She's dying!" He shouted across the hall. Doctors quickly came running in from all sides. Two of them had a mobile bed with them. "Put her down here!" He followed the instructions and carefully placed her in the white bed that turned red not a second later. The people in the white coats ran off and Miles followed them. "We have to do emergency surgery! She's lost a lot of blood! Clear out O.R. 5! Now!"

Arriving at the room, Quaritch was suddenly cut off. A nurse stood in front of him. "Sir you are not allowed in here! Please wait outside!" Exasperated, he protested. "I need to get in there now!"
"I'm sorry there's really no one allowed in from the outside! The doctors are doing what they can! Wait here!" "I'm the Colonel!" He tried to pass. "It doesn't matter!" The woman tried to calm him down. Miles had no power here and had to admit defeat willy-nilly. Desperate, he sat down on one of the far too small chairs in the hallway and buried his face in his hands.

Hours passed...
-

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

//yep that's it :) I literally can't believe that we're already at chapter 20!! (1005 words)//