21. "We were one. "

We didn't care that the guards were watching; all that mattered was that we needed someone, and we needed each other. He held onto me tightly. Unwaveringly. We knew, but we didn't care. I didn't care. My hands clung to him, and I felt safe. The kingdom didn't affect us, and the king didn't affect us. We were one. 

Sepher moves from the hug, his eyes redirecting towards my arm. "You're hurt."

My eyes examine my arm, as the skin's been peeled upward, now a flat, bloody sheet of stringed flesh dangling over. The putrid stench of exposed meat had already summoned a horde of buzzing flies, burrowing under the skin every time it rose and fell with another wet, squelching flop. "Allow me to take a look.", Sepher says.

This is my hexed arm, the black veins flesh in and out, riddling through my dark skin. Sepher captures my arm, but before he can witness the mark, my powers promptly "heal" it. It was gone. "What happened?"

He knows. My mouth lets out a sigh, mouthing the words. "It's a gift."

"A gift from the angels?", he questions, with a raised eyebrow. "Yes"

He grabs ahold of my hand, obtaining me into a bare white room, with no ornaments, no sunlight, just plain. He pulls my sleeve, revealing my black veins. "Ow!"

"Who did this to you?"

There is nothing you can do about it. Nothing anyone can do about it. It was my neglect. Never pull out a heart. I tug my sleeve against my wrist,  grasping his hand. "We should get going."