The Search Team (12/17/23)

After the day the villagers have found out that the Honorable Healer Marick Wolfe is missing, the next morning the Village Leader Orion Taylor called out for the inhabitants of Beggar's Village to the village center.

So almost everyone of the 500 residents came to the village center to hear what Orion has to say.

The Becketts, Eve, Farling brothers, and Melody are there among them.

Everyone have their eyes glued on Orion Taylor the village leader, standing on a wooden stage in the center of the village.

"We have a predicament at hand. I think most of you all know that the Honorable Healer Marick Rolfe has gone missing. It is likely that he has been gone for weeks since no one has heard a word from him since. It was quite unfortunate that it was just yesterday that it was found out that he was missing," Orion began to say to the crowd.

The crowd of villagers murmured between each other with expressions of shock and anxiety. They turn back to face Orion when he spoke again.

"What we know so far is that Marick has told someone that he has gone to The Kooky Forest. He regularly goes there a few times a month to find ingredients to make his medicines and come back a day or two later unscathed, but this time it is not the case," said Orion grimly.

"Now, I have you all gathered here to find volunteers to create a search party. I know that the Kooky Forest is a dangerous area as there are many creatures there that can attack you. In the past, we even had a few deaths. But we desperately need to find Marick since he is our only medical expert. That is why I believe if there are enough people in a search team, there is a better chance of navigating the forest and finding Marick. I doubt the empire will lent us a doctor to replace him if the worst case scenario happens..." Orion trailed off.

The crowd was dead silent as they listen to Orion.

Orion took a deep breath.

"I hope that is not true and Marick is found safe and sound. So please, any volunteers to create a search party is appreciated and I will reward you for your efforts. So raise your hand if you want to be part of the search party to find Healer Marick," Orion finished.

For a moment, it doesn't seem like anyone wants to raise their hand.

Then, 10 hands were raised in the air.

Those hands belong to Eve, Kyle, Mason, Julia, Jeremiah, Jon, Zeke, Melody, and 2 unknown people.

Seeing the 10 people hands raised, Orion gave a sigh of relief. It seems those 10 people are not too afraid to enter the mysterious forest.

"Alright, those with their hands raised come talk to me. Everyone else is can go back to do whatever duties you have," said Orion.

As everyone else dispersed, Arlene stayed behind with a look of anger on her face. The same goes for Julia's parents and Jeremiah.

They disprove of their children entering the Kooky Forest.

"Boys, I forbid you to enter that forest!  We will talk to you about this straight after you finish your discussion with our village leader!" Arlene scolded them.

"Julia, we cannot allow you to enter that forest. It is too dangerous for a kid your age! We will talk later!" Julia's mom said to her 12 year old daughter, her husband David nodded in agreement.

"Evelina, make sure they don't go to the forest!" Arlene told her unofficially adopted daughter. She is not worried about Evelina because she is pass adult age at almost 20 years old. Her sons on the other hand are just 10 and 12.

"Yes, please make sure Julia doesn't go either," Catherine aka Kat, Julia's mom told her.

Kyle, Mason, and Julia wanted to argue with their parents but stayed quiet, knowing that now is not the time.

Eve just feels awkward about the position they put her in.

"Um...we need to go talk to Orion, he is waiting for us," she said.

"Right, you can head home first dear. We will come straight back once Orion is done," said Jeremiah to his wife.

Arlene nodded. She and the Hendrikson's left the village center.

"Come on, let's go." Jeremiah put his hands on his sons back and urged them to walk towards where Orion is standing, surrounded by the other volunteers.

Eve and Julia wordlessly followed them.