Chapter 6

Maybe I was wrong.

It has been a few weeks since I had the talk with Emily. Everything was ok at first, all was back to normal. We went to work, and went out a couple of times like we used to. I even met JJ, who happened to be in town one day.

However, something changed today. We are currently working a case in New Mexico, and after leaving the hotel this morning, Emily and I stopped to grab coffee from a place nearby, like we do almost every day. But as we gave our orders, the girl in the register gave her number to Emily. Emily smiled and seemed to flirt back.

I am aware of the fact that I can't control her personal life, especially after asking for space, but it really didn't sit right with me. I didn't like the way she smiled at the cashier, because it is the same way she smiles at me. I am definitely jealous. I know that I let her go because of fear and anxiety, but I don't want her to leave. I also don't want to destroy what we have now.

How does one beat these fears of uncertainty?

Fortunately or unfortunately, work kept me too busy to think about that interaction all day. It was one of those cases that makes you lose faith, and you wonder how much more of this you can take. Because no matter how hard you try to forget the details, you can't.

The way back home was extremely silent. All I could think of was getting home so I can break down crying alone. I tried to finish my reports quickly on the plane, but I couldn't focus very well. My hand was slightly shaking every time I picked up the pen and tears filled my eyes as I was reminded of the gruesome images.

And since I couldn't do the paperwork on the plane, I had to finish them in my office. "Agent Harper, go home" Hotch says before I could even sit on my desk

"No, I'm fine" I lie

"You are not. Go home, and I'll see you tomorrow at 8:30" he insists

"I am going home once I finish up here. You will have the reports in an hour the latest--"

Ignoring me, he looks at Emily. "Take Natalie home, please" he tells to her

"Is everything alright?" she asks concerned

"She is tired and refuses to admit it"

"Oh, that's right. Let's go" Emily takes my arm

"First, it is rude to ignore and interrupt me. Second, I don't appreciate this" I say to Hotch.

I catch his tiny smirk as Emily drags me out of his office. She grabs my things from my desk and makes sure I am following her to the elevator.

"I am fine. I don't need a babysitter" I state

"I am sure..." she replies

"Don't do that!"

"Don't do what?"

"The irony. It's not nice"

"Ok" she chuckles.

I guess it was lucky that we came with her car the other morning. I get in the passenger seat and I spend the entire ride looking out the window. I wanted to cry about the case, but I was almost mad at Emily. Every time I looked at her, I remembered her smiling and flirting with that cashier. I'm so overwhelmed right now, I believe it would have been better if I walked home.

I let out a long breath as Emily parks outside my place. "Thanks for the ride. Goodnight" I say quickly and I get out of the car.

"Nat" she calls, as she follows me. I stop and let her catch up to me. "Are you feeling alright?" she asks again, worried

"I... I don't know" I admit.

She lifts her hand and rubs my arm in comfort. "There are parts of this job that are hard and you can't take home. But I'm always here if you need anything" she reminds me.

There is that warmth in my chest again.

"I know. Thank you" I reply.

The corner of her lips rise in a soft smile. There is that comfort. Her hand drops from my arm and she pulls away. "Call me if you need absolutely anything, ok?"

I nod.

She nods back. "Goodnight" she says as she steps back.

Don't think...

Don't think.

Don't think!

"Emily..." I call.

She stops a few feet away and turns around to face me. There is a moment of silence. I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out.

Don't fucking think!

I let my bags fall to the pavement and I rush to her. I grab her face in both hands and I kiss her. Suddenly, the rest of the world fuzzes out into static. There are so many questions in my head but I don't care. This is happening and the only thing I can think of is that Emily's lips are softer than I imagined. And she smells even better from up-close.

The first couple of seconds, I feel her surprise. Soon enough, she leans into the kiss and her hands find my waist. Her mouth slides and opens against mine. Her tongue brushes against mine which is just wow. It's nothing like kissing anyone else I've ever kissed in my life. It shakes every part of me and knocks the wind out of my lungs.

Our tongues work together like magic. And I have this urge for more. Almost like out of instinct, one of my hands travels to the back of her head and into her hair. I grab it at the roots and feel her smile against my lips. That little gesture causes a pulse between my legs.

As that small shakey breath leaves my nostrils, Emily pulls back. She bites her lip, but I can see her smile right through that. She keeps her hands on my waist and I keep mine on her neck.

"What was that for?" she asks

"I didn't overthink it" I smile

"How so?" she laughs

"I don't want to miss out on good things that happen when I don't think"

"That is very smart".

"So, are you going to ask me?" I wonder

She laughs again. "Will you go on a real date with me, Nat?"

"I would love to" I answer.