23. "ɪ ᴍɪꜱꜱ ʜᴇʀ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴍᴜᴄʜ."

"I love you, Genevieve." He said quietly as I nuzzled my face into his neck. "It's okay," He whispered, rubbing my back softly. "Let's get you inside." I nodded into his neck before pulling away, keeping my head down so he couldn't see my face.

He held on to my waist as we walked up to the front door. He reached out in front of me to open the door and let me go through first. I wiped my cheeks and took a deep breath.

"I'll be back," I said quietly before walking into the living room. "Here you go, dad." I handed him his phone and he looked up, his eyes puffy. "Thanks, sweetie." I noticed the twins sitting on the other couch, heads against the other's as they watched television.

"I'm going to go upstairs. I just need some time alone." I told him and he nodded. "I understand, sweetheart. I'll let you know if I need you." He said and I nodded before leaning down to give him a hug.

I didn't let go until he did. I straightened my back out and turned to walk away. I came back to the foyer to Tom as he waited patiently. "I feel so bad for him," I said quietly.

"My mother is the only woman he has ever loved. They've been together since they were fifteen." I told him and he remained quiet as he let me talk. "I just want to go lay down," I mumbled as I placed my hand on the banister.

I climbed the stairs with Tom following closely behind me. Once we reached the landing I glanced at my parents' bedroom door which remained closed. "Come on, Schön." He placed his hand on my waist and guided me to my room.

I felt the urge to cry return as we entered my room. I stood still as I tried to calm myself down but I could feel my face grow hot the harder I tried not to cry. I heard the door shut and his footsteps before he stood in front of me.

I looked up at him, my vision blurry from the tears that begged to come out. "It's okay, it's just us. Just me." His hand came to my waist to pull me closer to him before he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

I rested the side of my head against his chest and began to hear his heartbeat. "It's okay, baby. You don't have to be strong around me," He said before placing a kiss on the top of my head and I began to feel myself come completely undone.

Tom's POV

I felt her suck in a sharp breath before letting out a loud sob. Her hands came up to my arms and squeezed tightly. I felt her breathing pick up quickly and I brought my hand up to the side of her head, holding her against my chest gently.

My other hand came down to her back when I felt more of her weight come down on me. Her sobs echoed through the room and in my head. I could feel my heart break with every single one.

I backed up slowly until I was against a wall for support and I felt her weigh me down even more. I just let it happen and slid down the wall, stretching my legs out underneath her.

I pulled her up a little and she nuzzled her face into my neck, making her cries sound even louder but I didn't care, she needed this. I rubbed her back softly, feeling my neck and the collar of my shirt get wet with her tears.

I wish there was something I could do but I know there isn't. All I can do is be here for her. I still feel like it's not enough. "It's okay, it's okay," I whispered with my lips pressed against her temple.

I could feel myself begin to tear up. She doesn't deserve this. Her family doesn't deserve this. Why do bad things always happen to good people?

"Let it out," I whispered, tilting my head back slightly to take a deep breath. My hand rested on the back of her head, tangled in her long brown hair. Her sobs grew louder and more drawn out.