22. "ɪ ᴡᴀꜱ ꜰᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ꜱᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ, ɢᴇɴɪᴇ."

Genevieve's POV

I opened the door to the office and saw my father sitting down with my siblings. "There she is," The secretary said quietly which made my father look up at me, glossy eyes, and that's when my heart shattered.

I knew exactly what was going on. I've spent the past decade trying to prepare myself for this exact moment. Each day I wake up I fear for this moment. She was in remission for fucks sake! She was doing so well.

"No," I said as I shook my head and he nodded slowly as he tried not to cry. "No, no, no," I continued to repeat and I felt my bottom lip start to shake as I held back tears.

Bless my dad for staying as strong as he can. He doesn't like us kids seeing him cry, ever. "I have to go to the funeral home to arrange things. You can stay home with your brother and sister or come with."

"I want to come with," I said quietly and he nodded. "I'm going to see if Simone could watch these two," He said as he stood up and reached into his pocket for his phone. "I don't want them causing too much trouble while we're there."

I nodded and went to sit down with my siblings as he did so. They both sat quietly, occasional sniffles were heard from them. I felt so awful for them, they're too young to go through this.

I had to stay strong for them and for my father. The last thing my father needs right now is for me to be a mess and I really don't want the twins to see me upset.

My father shortly came back. "She said she can take them, we'll drop them off on the way there." I nodded and looked down at the twins. "You guys get to hang out with Simone until we come back to get you guys."

They put small smiles on their faces. I was extremely upset with Tom at the moment, but we need all the support we can get right now. The Kaulitz family has become almost like family to us since we've been here.

I have more important things to worry about than Tom and the pain he's caused me. "Alright, let's go, kiddos." My dad said as he reached for Celine's hand and I grabbed Theodore's.

The bell rang for the end of class and we hurried out of the doors before we got stuck in a crowd of people. I think my father and I were sort of numb at the moment, our only focus being the twins.

They got into their seats and buckled up before I climbed in the front next to my father. It was a fairly short drive to the Kaulitz's house and the twins quickly unbuckled themselves before fighting over who'd be getting out of the door faster.

My father stepped out and opened the door for them. I looked over at the front door and saw Simone stepping out, the twins running up to her and attacking her in hugs.

My father and Simone shared a few words before she gave him a long hug. Once they pulled away, she guided the twins inside the house and he slowly made his way back to the car.

He climbed in and put the car in gear before driving away. The ride to the funeral home was completely silent, not even the radio was on.

"I went in to check on her before I left for work," He said quietly. "Told her the twins were ready so she could take them with her, like always. She hadn't even gotten out of bed and I should have known that something was wrong."

I felt the tears build up again and reached for the hand that rested on the center console. "I should have known!" He cried out and I winced at the pain in his voice.

I knew he wasn't going to stop blaming himself. Why do bad things happen to good people? What did my mother ever do to deserve this? She had just gotten back to work after all this time.