To Quench Questions

Previously

Unfolding from his magic was a dress unlike any I had ever seen – the color of the seafoam, intricately embroidered with shimmering threads of gold on the cuffs and waist danced in harmony beneath the soft sunlight. The fabric appeared delicate as a moonbeam, yet as I felt it, there was a surprising strength resonating beneath its soft surface. It was nothing short of artistry, a masterpiece created for the wearer to both command and complement the room. Its elegance and mystery seemed to mirror Loki himself.

Eyes wide and jaws slackened in amazement, we turned to glance at the three sisters who had been momentarily forgotten amidst the surprise appearance of Loki and his unconventional gift.

To say that they were observing our interaction would be an understatement. The sisters had paused in their activities; the room, once bustling with whispers of steam and the gentle clinking of glass bottles, now lay still in gaping silence broken only by Loki's distinct laughter.

Ingrid, her hands still clasped around the plush rosy towel she had been folding a moment ago, stared, a soft blush coloring her cheeks. Beside her, Astrid held a forest-green gown, frozen mid-air in her bewildered pause. Her eyes darted in astonishment from the dress in her hands to the one Loki had unveiled.

But it was Ama whose reaction outshone the others. Her usually radiant face masked with shock, the bright crystal mixing flask she held had stopped mid twirl, causing the myriad of liquid colors swirling within to settle. One fragile hand rose to her lips, as if to suppress an astonished gasp.

Laughter bubbled within me at my companions' comically stunned expressions. Before I could utter an apology, Loki curtly nodded at the sisters.

"The air in here could do with some less shock, ladies. How about getting that bath ready for Lady (Y/n)?" His voice was smooth as ever yet held an unfamiliar edge, a sparkle that matched his shining emerald eyes.

Roused by his cool command, the sisters sprang back into action, with Ingrid hastening to the bathing chamber, Astrid whisking away the unchosen dresses, and Ama resuming her delightful dance with scents and potions.

This gave me the privacy to talk to Loki and express my gratitude to him.

"Loki, this dress, it's beautiful. Exquisite even.", I exclaimed, boring my eyes into his in a hope that they would convey all that I was being unable to.

He chuckled, a deep, rumbling sound that seemed like a thunderstorm in the distance. "Ah, Your Highness,” he said, a grin dancing on his lips. "A dress this exquisite does demand a certain compensation.”

“What could I offer,” I wondered aloud, my eyes tracing the intricate designs of the gift.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the sitting room, stopping just in front of the circular center table. With a quick flute of his fingers, Loki conjured a miniature illusion of Asgard's royal gardens, their vibrant greens and radiant flora appearing on the table between them. A vision of exceptional beauty, it took her breath away. "I ask for nothing more than a simple stroll in the primordial bliss of the royal gardens. Only if you would honor me with your charming company, my dear princess."

My brow arched in surprise, amusement twinkling in her brilliant eyes. "You ask for my company? And why should that be a fitting payment for such a splendid dress?"

"Well,” Loki smirked. “I get the best end of the deal. Your company is worth more than a mere dress."

The chuckle that escaped her was as warm as the Asgardian golden mead. The Trickster played his words well, and she had to admit the allure of his charm was enchanting. The gardens had always been her sanctuary; it was a testament to Loki's cunning to have chosen such a gift.