Chapter 14: Saying goodbye is harder than you think

CHAPTER 14

Snape's POV

As Ester came into the great hall for breakfast the next morning, everything and everyone stopped in their tracks to stare. The silence was immense, as if our ears had been completely stuffed. It was a drastic change from the usual loud chatter that echoed off the walls and bounced back into our eardrums, causing them to pound.

Our eyes met as she trudged over to her seat at the Gryffindor table, her feet dragging. And I instantly knew her friends gave her a very rough time last night by the fierce glares they shot her way and her puffy, red eyes. She sat in the very back, farthest from where Potter and his gang ate their breakfast.

'What happened?' I mouthed.

She shrugged, making it look like it was no big deal. It didn't fool me though. Most other students except for Longbottom, the Weasley twins and Lovegood were murmuring to their neighbors behind her back and sending her dirty looks.

'Nothing.' She mouthed back.

My mouth tightened into a thin line as I turned back to my untouched plate full of food. I would get ahold of her later today. It was a Saturday so I could pry for her to explain all day if need be.

Then I noticed Draco stand up with his two cronies, Crabbe and Goyle, and make their way over to her position. I could hear what they were saying from where I sat, but I could tell by the outraged look on her face that it was very bad. Her hair turned a fiery, glowing orange. Ester's hands balled into fists at her sides. I knew what she was thinking, causing a great sinking feeling to form in the pit of my stomach. Oh no.

She shot up from her seat. I could barely hear her shouting over the newfound roars of the great hall. She got right up in Malfoy's face so their noses were only inches apart. He flinched slightly.

"Shut up, weasel! You're lying! That is not true and you know it." She shrieked, her voice trembling with rage as she stood up for herself.

Crabbe and Goyle stepped in then, red faced and fists clenched. And even though Ester was the oldest of the four, the cronies towered over her by a landslide. They were much stronger too. Or so I assumed.

"Listen here, mudblood." Crabbe growled, his meaty brow furrowing with irritation. "That's the Slytherine prince you're talking to, so show some respect. Or else."

She rolled her eyes, staring down the three fearlessly. "So Malfoy, you need Tweedle Dee and Tweedle dum to do your dirty work now? Too afraid to threaten a chick without getting your ass whooped?"

He grinned wickedly. "Oh, quite the contrary. You're the one who's going to get an ass kicking."

Suddenly, before I could even fully process what was going on, Draco threw the first punch. But to my surprise, Ester didn't take the hit; she caught his fist in her hand, her reflexes kicking in. And the hall went silent again, staring shocked at a broken looking Draco crumpled on the floor as he cradled his dislocated shoulder. He whimpered slightly as his cronies attempted to drag him up off the ground. Ester had twisted his fist around in her hand, causing his whole right arm to detach itself from it's socket.

My jaw dropped slightly. I didn't expect her to be so strong or know how to defend herself. Of course, someone as small as Malfoy should have been very easy to take down.

Some of the other professors shot up from their seats at the staff table and charged over to Malfoy and Ester's position, where they dragged them away, probably to question the two on what just happened. His two goons had already taken off out the door by this time, afraid of getting in trouble as well.