Chapter 11: The second challenge

CHAPTER 11

Ester's POV

I paced the path that lead down to the black lake anxiously, hopping and gliding over the twisting roots of the shade trees as I trudged about. Most students and staff had already made their way down to the lake, but I hadn't seen Severus anywhere today. He said that he would meet me with the potion this morning. At least, that was what he told me. He was already twenty minutes late and the challenge would begin very shortly. I sighed impatiently. I really needed that potion now so I could compete.

"Ester." A familiar drawling voice sounded from behind me.

I jumped, startled, and turned around to find Snape leaning against a tree, his arms crossed over his chest. He smirked in amusement. "Did I scare you?"

I laughed. "No way. So where's the potion you promised?"

He nodded, pulling out a small crystal vial full of a dark violet liquid from his pocket. I took it from his hand gingerly, examining the contents. There was hardly a swallow inside. I frowned. "Shouldn't there be a bit more?"

Snape shook his head. "There would be, but when I was pouring it, I spilled. There may only be enough now for about 45 minutes or so at the most. I'm sorry."

I shrugged casually, acting like it was no big deal. Even if it was. "It's fine. I'll just have to move extra fast. Thank you."

He leaned in then and brushed a lone strand of hair from my face, our lips brushing slightly. "I don't deserve you."

I shook my head and smiled, snaking my arms around his neck. "Of course you do after all the crap you've had to put up with."

He smirked. "You don't know the half of it."

He kissed me sweetly, pressing me up against a nearby tree. "Then you'll just have to tell me sometime." I murmured into his ear between breaths of air.

Suddenly, a loud cheer erupted from down by the lake and Dumbledoor's voice boomed with enthusiasm. The challenge was beginning. We both reluctantly pulled back. "I gotta get down there."

He nodded and bit his lip nervously. "I'll be waiting for you in the stands."

Before I left, I took his hands in mine reassuringly and smiled. "I'll be fine."

"You don't know that." He stated bluntly.

I gave him another soft, lingering kiss. He seemed to relax just a bit. "If I don't resurface within 40 minutes and I get in some sort of trouble, i'll send up red sparks. Alright?"

He nodded. "...be safe."

"I will." I promised.

With that, I backed away and quickly ran down to the stands where most everyone was seated by now. I took my place in line at the edge of the docks between Cedric and Fleur, pulling off my Gryffindor robes to reveal a sleek, black, one piece swimsuit that would help me blend in better with the dark waters. I looked around at the other competitors. It seemed that they all had suits given to them because they all looked quite similar. I think they were going to let me use one as well, but I declined since I was comfortable with the one I had on.

That's when I met eyes with Victor Krum. We hadn't spoken to each other since the night of the Yule Ball, but I could tell just by his cold glare that he was more than a little bit angry. I rolled my eyes at him in complete disgust. I wondered why he wasn't disqualified from the tournament for seriously injuring a teacher. It was probably because there was no backing out of the competition once you get chosen. It was an idiotic rule if you asked me.