Chapter 9: Slow dancing and mistletoe

CHAPTER 9

Ester's POV

Christmas Day

I had gone through about my third box of tissues that afternoon as I waited patiently for Severus to wake up. I was truly and utterly terrified for his life. When I ran to get Dumbledoor and explained what happened, we and a few other teachers immediately took him to the hospital wing. Madame Pomfrey said the impact of Victor's attack had caused Snape to break two ribs and puncture a lung. I hadn't left his side since. My friends kept telling me that he would be alright, but I wanted to see that for myself. The headmaster and some of my professors also stuck around for a time to reassure me as well, but eventually they all had to leave for one reason or another. They all probably had better things to do on their holiday than comfort a sobbing girl. I didn't blame them either. I must have looked pretty pathetic blubbering over how it was my fault that Snape was in this condition.

A sharp groan of pain suddenly snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up expectantly at Snape who had just woken up and was rubbing his bandaged side. I wiped away my tears and smiled broadly as he spoke. "How long was I passed out?" He muttered, wiping the crud from his eyes.

"All night. And most of today too. You were hurt pretty badly." I said, dragging my chair closer to the hospital bed he was sitting in.

Snape frowned, his brow furrowing in deep thought. "Did he hurt you? Krum, I mean."

"Stop it, Sev. You just woke up. Don't worry about me; I'm fine." I said, a fresh batch of tears welling up in my eyes.

He turned to look at me, his eyes filled with such concern and anger. "I'll kill him if he ever touches you again. I mean it."

He reached out to brush away a tear rolling down my cheek. I leaned into his comforting touch slightly. "You nearly did."

"Good." He muttered under his breath bitterly.

"What was he talking about back there anyway, Sev?" I sniffled, blowing my nose with another Kleenex.

A flash of shock crossed in his black eyes as he was caught off guard by my question. It was gone in less than a second though, only to be replaced with his usual cold glare. "He was drunk, Ester. Nothing you need to worry about."

"But he said that--"

"Enough." He snapped, cutting me off. "I don't want to hear another word about what Krum said."

"You're hiding something from me. I can tell." I stated, setting down the now empty box of tissues.

Snape changed the subject. "How do you like your gift?"

I grasped charm which was still hanging around my neck from last night. "It's beautiful, Sev. Thank you. I hope it wasn't too expensive."

He shrugged. "No."

I cracked a small smile. "Liar."

He gave me a twisted smirk. "How is it that you are the only one who can see right through me, when no one else can?"

I laughed. "Because I'm like you."

For a long time, neither of us spoke. I sighed quietly at the content silence, relieved that Snape was now finally awake. I really was worried for him. It was an awfully reckless thing to do to draw his wand on Victor. He was a very powerful wizard. He could have killed Severus in a heartbeat if he wanted to. Then I remembered what I made him promise the other night in the hospital wing.

"You promised that you wouldn't risk your life for me ever again." I said, breaking the silence.

Snape gave me a twisted smirk. "I said nothing of the sort."