Chapter 21: The last day at Hogwarts

CHAPTER 21

Snape's POV

It had been two weeks since I had saved Ester and brought her back. And I still wasn't sure whether we were back together or not. I mean, sure; we were meeting up again and we were more than a bit affectionate with each other, but she had also been distancing herself more and more. When I asked her if we could meet up, Ester would sometimes say she had homework to catch up on, or that she was going with the Weasley twins to get a buttered beer. In total honesty, I really think she was just distancing herself.

I couldn't really blame her doing so either. After just ending our relationship the way I did, then making up again, I should have known she would be more than a bit hesitant. Ester just didn't want to get hurt again. By anyone. First, it was her father when he shut down and lied to her. Next, it was her friends abandoning her because of a choice she made. And of course, there was me. Also, she knew now that I was a Death Eater and that may have been part of the problem as well. She was weary of me just in case. (Of course, I didn't forget to tell her that I was a double agent.)

Suddenly, I was snapped out of my thoughts by an owl swooping through the open window to my living quarters with a letter clasped tightly in it's beak. It dropped the envelope on the desk where I sat, and held out it's claws in request to be paid for it's services. I rolled my eyes in annoyance at being interrupted, but began rummaging through the drawers for some spare change anyway; then handed the bird a sickle.

Screeching in a sign of thanks, it then flew back out the window, most likely back to the owlery or it's owner. Then I walked over to shut the window behind it, and went back to open the envelope. This was the last day of school, and I wanted to spend it in peace; without any distractions.

The loopy, cursive handwriting on the front instantly told me that it was from Ester. I eagerly tore it open with the letter opener on my desk. I was hoping I would get to see her today, but I wanted to wait and see if she would come to me first.

'Dear Sev,

Are you busy? If not, come to my dorm. Like, as soon as possible. The Fat Lady's portrait will be open so just walk right in. I want to see you one last time before I leave. ;)

Forever yours,

-Ester'

Sighing loudly, I stuffed the letter into the pocket of my cloak and tried not to think of the fact that this might be the last time I will see her in awhile. And I really didn't want her to leave, as selfish as that may sound. Not when I just got her back like this. It wasn't fair.

Yeah, I thought to myself then, well life isn't fair. Then I headed out the door, wanting to get to Gryffindor Tower as soon as possible so I could see Ester before she boarded the train. If I was lucky, I would only have about twenty minutes. That was all. Twenty minutes to say goodbye. Hopefully, it would only be for a short while.

Hey, I'm glad you could make it." She said, grinning happily once I got to her room.

I nodded, glancing around at her dorm. It was like any other one in the Gryffindor house. It had a queen sized bed decked out in red and gold comforters. The red walls were decked out with posters of different bands we had listened to over the past year. Music was playing from a radio set on the nightstand. I could see where Ester had carved her name into the wood on the top with some sort of pocket knife. 'Ester waz here, y'all! :p' Ester's battered suitcase full of clothes and electronics laid on the bed lazily, waiting to be zipped up and carried away.

"Hello? you there, Sev? You're spacing out again." She suddenly exclaimed, waving a hand in front of my eyes to catch my attention.

I blinked, my brow furrowing in deep thought. "Sorry."

"You okay?" She asked, cocking an eyebrow at me in concern. "You seem distant."

I nodded. "Yes. I'm fine."

"Mm-kay." She mumbled, turning back to her suitcase to cram in the last of her things.

"Ester?" I asked then, my stomach doing a nasty flip.

"Yeah?"

I sucked in a deep breath, trying hard not to go down on my knees, begging for her not to leave. "Be safe. When you go to L.A, I mean..."

She turned back to me, smiling broadly. She looked very excited to go. "Oh I will. I'll be staying at my bother's place until I get enough money to afford my own. He wrote me saying it's supposed to be huge. His house, I mean. He makes a lot of money at his job so he could afford one right on the beach. Have you ever seen the the ocean, Sev? I have, like, once. I'm excited to go and see it again. Larkin's lucky. He gets to see it--"

"Ester?" I asked again, accidentally cutting her off.

She laughed, her smile getting even bigger if that was even possible. "Oh sorry. I'm babbling on again, aren't I."

I bit my lip hard. "It's fine."

Then I shifted my gaze to the open window. The breeze flowing through ruffled her hair slightly, causing it to fall in her eyes.

I could see the students outside, rushing to get to the station and board the Hogwarts Express. Most looked happy to leave as they walked with their friends, their arms draped lazily over each other's shoulders. I swallowed anxiously as I visualized Ester leaving like that without a care in the world. Only like most, she wouldn't be coming back. Not for a very long time.

And suddenly I felt her arms wrap around my neck, embracing me tightly. "I'm really gonna miss you, Sev. I hope you know that."

I nodded sullenly. "I do."

"Good," she muttered, resting her head on my shoulder. I quickly embraced her back, terrified of letting go. "I'll make sure to owl you as soon as I get there."

"I'll write back." I replied, my voice hollow.

Ester smiled again. But I could tell it was slightly forced. "We can be pen pals."

And we kissed then, our mouths moving to a silent rhythm that was our own. It was short though. Only about five or six seconds. It may have been longer if Fred and George hasn't yelled up the stairs impatiently.

"Come on, Essy. We're gonna be late!" They called. We quickly pulled away.

"Just a second!" She yelled back.

Then she returned her gaze to me. "I gotta get going."

I nodded. "I know."

"I love you." She said.

"I love you." I said back, taking all my will power not to ask her to stay.

And with one last glance at me, she hefted her heavy bag off the bed and rushed down the stairs to rejoin the rest of her friends. Then I was left standing alone, staring blankly down at the bed where Ester once sat, packing up to leave.