CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Thursday 27th July 2023

Daniel POV

If you asked all the drivers what day they hate the most, they'd all say the same thing, media day. After all, in what other sport do you have to do a whole day of media duties before getting in a car the next day to drive at 200mph. It's relentless, one interview after another. And if that wasn't enough there's all the media for our teams as well.

This particular media day was made worse by the fact that, for some unknown reason, Lando's closest friends had all been put in the same press conference together – me, Max, George, Alex and Carlos. Clearly there was an agenda despite the statement that McLaren had put out at the beginning of the day.

We are all sat on the sofa waiting for the press conference to start. You can almost hear Max roll his eyes at the whole situation. George is sat next to him looking very displeased and Carlos, well, he's not said a word. We all know what's coming. I lean towards Alex. 'I give it 10 minutes before Max storms out.' I whisper.

'5' is all he says back, trying to keep the slight smirk off his face.

'Welcome everybody to the drivers press conference for the Belgian grand prix' Tom begins, 'now, we need to start by addressing the incident involving Lando Norris last Sunday. McLaren released a statement this morning to say that there has been no change in his condition and that he remains stable but critical. All our thoughts are with him and his family. He's a very well liked member of this paddock and much missed. Now, gentleman, it's an understandably sober mood in the paddock this weekend, how are you all doing? We understand that you arrived here early this morning after leaving Hungary as late as possible.'

We all looked at each other, were they really expecting us to answer honestly? What did he expect us to say? I could say that I didn't really want to be here. That after 6 months of not being in the car I should be over the moon to be driving again but that because I'd left my best friend on her own, dealing with the unimaginable pain of seeing the love of her life in a hospital bed day after day, I couldn't wait for the weekend to be over. I could tell him that I was checking in on her a ridiculous amount but at least I knew she was eating by the charges on her room. That she sounded exhausted every time I spoke to her, that I was worried about her. I don't say any of that, of course I don't.

'We all checked in on Lando before we left this morning, we know he's a fighter and it's only a matter of time before he's back in the paddock with us.' We all look at Alex in gratitude for speaking first. I wonder if he had that answer rehearsed.

'We're on the last race weekend before the summer break, have your plans changed at all?' Max looks like he's about to explode. I decide to take this one before he combusts in front of us.

'We have all decided to change our plans slightly. We have a rota in place so that one of us will always be at the hospital with his family, the rest of us won't be too far away so we can get back quickly if, I mean, when he wakes up.' I groan inwardly at my slip up.

'Max, you won last time round, does what happened to Lando play in your mind at all when you get in the car?'

This time I groan out loud. Everyone knows Max is a bit of a hot head, especially when it comes to stupid questions. I look over at Alex, he's checking his watch. George seems to have cottoned on to what's going on as I see his lips twitch.

Max takes his time. I can almost hear the cogs whirring in his brain. I look over to his PR manager who has a look of utter panic on her face. She has no idea what's going to come out of his mouth. Why they thought this press conference was a good idea I'll never know.

'What happened to Lando was a tragic accident' he paused, he doesn't believe that. 'We all know the risks every time we get behind the wheel, but if we allow that to affect us, we would never get in the car. So, no, it doesn't play on my mind' he finished.