CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Friday 7th July 2023

Lando POV

I open the curtains in my hotel room and watch the activity below, there's already people milling around the track and in the stands. The team being sponsored by Hilton has its perks, my suite has an incredible view of the pit lane and the garages, and I can already see the mechanics beavering away. There's a walkway between the hotel and the paddock but I'd decided to drive the long way round each day so I can see the fans and they can see me. McLaren have given me a Senna for the weekend and it's incredible to drive, even for such a short distance.

I'm actually excited about this weekend, the first time I've been excited about anything in ages. The upgrades that have been put on the car seem to have finally made it competitive and I'm quietly optimistic about my chances of a podium. My dad and grandad are here as well, along with Max and the Quadrant crew, full support for my home race. This weekend feels like a turning point, both on and off the track.

A movement above the garages catches my eye and I watch as she comes to the railing, tea cup in her hand. She's biting her lip, like she always does when she's deep in thought. As I continue to stare, I see her dad appear behind her and they're soon engaged in conversation. Suddenly she looks up at the hotel, her eyes searching each window. I take that as my cue to get ready, I need to be in the paddock myself. I can't stand here starring at her all day. I take one last look at her, leaning my hand on the window as I do so, before turning away. Maybe not so much of a turning point after all.

Sienna POV

I have been coming to Silverstone all my life for the British Grand Prix and even the year I was born, my mum waddled round the paddock with me in her belly. This is my happy place and I feel my mood lighten with every passing minute.

With three British drivers on the grid capable of a podium if luck falls the right way there's an air of excitement among the fans this year that I've not felt in a long time and it's infectious. As I stand at the railings above the garages with my cup of tea, I watch the stands fill, they become a blanket of orange (galvanised by Lando's 4th place finish in Austria last week), neon yellow, neon green (although from here it's hard to decipher whether it's Lando green or Mercedes green) and purple.

I feel a hand on my back and I turn round to welcome my dad who comes and stands beside me.

'How is he?' I ask.

'He's feeling good about this weekend, he's excited even. I've not seen him like this in a while, like he's found a renewed sense of purpose.'

'That's good. I'm glad.' I sigh. And I was. You'd have to be blind to not be able to see how miserable he had been. He was good to hide the extend of it when the cameras were on but I knew him, I knew his tells.

'He's staying at the hotel' my Dad interrupted my thoughts.

I find myself searching the windows, but they're all blank. I go to walk back inside but in the corner of my eye I catch a movement, a flash of orange, when I focus fully, it's gone.

Saturday 8th July 2023

Sienna POV

Lando has had an incredible weekend so far. You can feel the excitement in the air after he finishes P1 in Q1 and the whole circuit is buzzing in anticipation. I'm so nervous and I feel sick to my stomach but unable to tear my eyes away from the screen or the track so my head is constantly swivelling between the 2. It was easier watching the races at the beginning of the year when there wasn't a points finish at stake. Now there's more on the line.

I watch as the papaya car makes its way round the track again, harvesting power ready for one last shot, pole position at his home grand prix. The noise from the crowd is incredible as Lando sets purple sector after purple sector. My heart is in my mouth as he comes round club corner so fast that he's just a blur. Provisional pole! The circuit erupts in a roar so loud it's deafening. I feel tears of happiness prick the corners of my eyes and I can't stop grinning. The grin only lessening slightly as Max crosses the line not long after.