CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Cont...

Sienna POV

There's a quiet knock on the door. 'Danny, they're asking for you back in the garage. Red flag will be finishing in about 10 minutes. I'll stay here with S.'

Heidi comes and sits down beside me whilst Danny stands up to leave. 'I'll be back as soon as the race is over ok' He kisses me on the head before kissing Heidi briefly and then he leaves to get back to the race. I don't know how they do it, get back in the car so soon after a big accident and the track will have been cleared like it never even happened.

I lean my head back against the wall, silent tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm just waiting... waiting for a message from my dad... waiting....

Heidi just takes my hand and waits with me.

Daniel POV

The pit lane is deathly quiet when I walk out of the Mercedes garage. But Max, Carlos and George are deep in a hushed conversation just off to my left, they all look furious. I frown, that can't be good. I can't see Oscar, he's probably sheltering in the McLaren garage away from the hostility, wise decision in my opinion. Max looks like he wants to punch someone.

Something about this whole situation is fishy to me. I've always been suspicious. Sienna has been my best friend since I started at McLaren back in 2021 and she has always only, ever, had eyes for Lando. She's a stunning girl and I've seen tons of guys hit on her when we've been out but she's never once been interested, not even a flicker. Yet she gets drunk one night and goes home with Oscar. No, something about this stinks. Heidi agrees with me, the others do not, but they don't know her like I do. Problem is, I also have no evidence to back up my theory, I'm not even sure what my theory really is.

I finish the race P12 and if things were different I'd be over the moon. But today, I can't wait to get out of the car.

I rush to my drivers room, I need to get back to Sienna and Heidi as soon as possible and Lewis is going to want his driver room back although with his P3 he'll have the podium and press conference to do first which will give us a little bit more time. I check my phone before I get in the shower and see a message from Sienna's dad, Call me, urgent. Make sure you're not with Sienna. I stop breathing, oh god.

Sienna POV

Eventually we hear somewhat muted cheers which means that the race is finally over. I want nothing more than to go straight to the hotel and ring my dad, he's still not called me and I'm starting to go crazy at the lack of news.

There's a knock on the door and Danny pops his head round the door. There's an expression on his face that I can't quite read but he comes and grabs both of my hands and kneels down in front of me.

'I've spoken to your dad' he says softly.

I gulp. 'Wh...wh...what did he say?'

He pauses for what seems like forever.

'Danny! Please....' I feel like I'm drowning. There's a noise rushing through my ears and the room suddenly feels hot. I'm suffocating.

'Lando.... He coded in the air... they managed to get him back' he says quickly 'but he hasn't regained consciousness. They're running loads of tests. Apart from lots of bruises they haven't been able to find much wrong with him, they don't know why he coded and they don't know why he won't wake up.'

'Oh my god' I cry. I hate this, I hate that I'm having to stay away from him.

Danny POV

I can see this is killing her, having to be here and not at the hospital. Once I've got her and Heidi back to the hotel I'm going to go over there myself, see if there's anyway I can arrange for her to see him, even if it's just for a minute.

As we leave the paddock, Heidi and I on either side of Sienna, practically holding her up, I see Max in the corner of my eye, storming away from the media pen heading straight towards the McLaren hospitality. He'd won the race today but he'd been so angry that he'd literally collected his trophy and walked off the podium. I don't blame him, I don't think any of us are in the mood for any kind of celebration tonight. I know most of them will be heading over to the hospital as soon as they're able to. I signal to Heidi and mutter 'take Sienna to the car, I'll catch up with you in a minute'. I just needed to stop Max doing something stupid first, something that he wouldn't be able to take back.

I manage to catch up with him just as he makes it to the steps. I grab his arm, just as the door opens and Zak walks out.

'Max. I suggest you turn around. Your hospitality is in that direction' Zak points up the paddock.

'Mate, come on' I tug on his arm slightly.

'Urgh... Lando is lying in the hospital because of him and you're all protecting him! You know that he did that on purpose!' His hands are clenched as they rest by his side. He's wound up like a jack in the box, just waiting to explode.

'This isn't the time and place, Max. Lando needs us. He doesn't need you ruining your career' I urge.

Zak's expression goes soft 'he's lucky to have you, all of you. I will deal with Oscar. Go, be with your friend. I'll be heading over there myself when I'm finished here.'

I know Zak sees Lando as a son, so it must be difficult for him to still be here, he'd have wanted to be on that helicopter with him, not stuck in the garage dealing with the fallout.

Max makes a last moan of frustration before he lets me turn him around and I walk with him to the Red Bull building.

'Are you going to the hospital now?' he asks me.

'No, I'm taking Sienna and Heidi back to the hotel first. I'll get her settled and then I'll head over there.'

He rolls his eyes.

'Don't start Max, you know my stance on this whole situation. You saw her reaction today. Lewis says you all just left her there on the floor. I know you're all angry at her but where's your compassion! She was your friend too!'

I can't deal with him right now, so I turn on my heel and run to the car where Heidi and Sienna are waiting.