CHAPTER TWO

17th February 2017

Sienna POV

I smile remembering that first meeting. I haven't seen him since but today is a big day. Today, Lando is signing to join McLaren's young driver programme, a deal brokered by my dad, the first step on my dad's promise to get Lando to F1. My dad and Lando's dad had gone with him to the MTC to sign his contract and then my mum and I, plus Lando's mum and siblings were meeting them for a celebratory meal at an Italian restaurant in Woking.

I found myself sighing as I straightened my hair and put the finishing touches to my make up. I'm almost hoping that my body doesn't react the same way as it had last time, I mean love at first sight didn't really exist did it, that was all a myth. Lust maybe, but love, definitely not. And Lando was a driver, I didn't date drivers, I swore to myself I wouldn't let that happen again. They were too selfish by nature, always putting their own needs before anyone else's. But I could already feel goosebumps on my skin as I remember the feeling of our fingers touching and how soft his hands were. My mind starts to drift and I wonder what it would feel like for those hands to be on my body. 'Stop it Sienna' I mutter to myself, I shake my head, literally trying to shake the image out of my brain. I take one last look at myself in the mirror, I'm happy with how I look. I've gone safe with an LBD that skims my knees and has a fitted bodice, showing off my cleavage. I pick up my purse from my bed and head downstairs to see if my mum is ready to leave.

Lando POV

'Welcome to McLaren, Lando' Eric booms and he slaps me on the back before firmly grasping my hand and giving me a very strong handshake. 'Thanks.... Thanks for giving me this opportunity' I reply back to him. I still can't quite believe it. I can't quite believe that David has actually pulled this off so quickly. This is the first step in realising my dream of driving in F1 and possibly for one of the most historic teams in the sport. I mean Lewis started his career here.

'Right, come on son, let's go and celebrate' I could hear the pride in my dad's voice. This was a big day for him too. It meant that all the weekends spent at the karting track and taking me to event after event, not to mention the financial investment, was all paying off. 'Let's not keep the others waiting, I bet they can't wait to celebrate with you, your mum was a blubbering wreck this morning' he continued, laughing.

Dad and I drove to the restaurant with David. I kept quiet in the back of the car whilst they chatted in the front. My mind went to the girl we were on our way to meet. I can't wait to see her again and spend some time getting to know her better. I can see her as we pull up to the restaurant. Damn, she looks amazing, she's wearing a black dress that comes to just above her knee. It has a fitted top to it with thin straps, I know I'm going to struggle to keep my eyes on her face tonight.

As the server clears our main course plates from the table, I excuse myself and take myself outside. I need some air. Being sat so close to her in the restaurant, her perfume filling my nose, is absolute torture. I'll take a quick 5 minute break and then head back in, I'm not missing dessert, especially when it's Italian ice cream. I sit on one of the small outside tables with my drink, and take a look around. It's a gorgeous, crisp, cold night and the sky is clear enough so I can see the stars.

I smell her right before I feel a hand on my shoulder and she says a very quiet 'hey'. I can still feel the heat when she takes her hand away and sits opposite me. 'Are you ok?' she has concern in her eyes which as I look at her are, I notice, brown with flecks of gold and they glimmer as the light from the restaurant windows catch them. 'Yeah I'm fine, just needed some air. It's been an overwhelming day. Signing that contract today....' I tail off and slowly shake my head.

'You didn't think my Dad would pull it off, did you?' she chuckled.

'Not this fast I didn't. I still have no idea how he did it'

'He believes in you, Lando. He was talking to everybody about you. He spoke to Christian Horner about you as well, did you know that?'

'Yeah, he told me and we discussed it. They already have so many drivers within their programme that I wasn't convinced I'd be valued.'

'Yeah, that and they already have their golden boy for the foreseeable future. You'd only ever be a number 2 driver if you got to the F1 team. You're better than that. But Christian was pissed' she laughed. 'Him and my Dad go way back and are best friends. I think he thought that would seal the deal.'

'Your dad did not tell me that last bit. Do you think Christian will forgive him?'

'Yeah they're still as thick as thieves so I don't think it affected their relationship at all. We're over there on Sunday for lunch actually'

She has these cute dimples when she smiles and my eyes drift to her lips. I catch myself thinking what it would be like to brush my lips against hers.

'Do you fancy going out sometime' I find myself saying. Hang on, what? Did I say that out loud!

Sienna POV

He blushes, I'm not sure he actually meant to say that out loud. I really like him but Pierre broke my heart and I'm not over him yet. I need to let Lando down gently though as I don't want to hurt his feelings or make things awkward if we have to work closely together at some point.

'Urm....Lando.....I really like you but I had my heart broken last year and....'

'Say no more. Maybe we could just get to know each other better.... Maybe......as friends?

God he was so cute. He was pouting a little and looking at me with his puppy dog eyes. It was going to be hard to resist him I could tell. It was going to take every ounce of willpower I have.

'Friends... I can do that. Maybe we could go karting?' I suggested. I haven't been karting in ages. I used to love spending time at the track. Oliver doesn't really have time to go with me anymore.

'Karting? Really?' he exclaimed.

'Yeah, me and my cousin, Oliver used to go karting all the time but he's not had much time recently what with racing in GP2, his Renault commitments and his Formula E stuff' 

Lando's eyes widened. 'Oliver?' He asked. 'As in Oliver Rowland?'

'Yeah, he's my cousin. Our mums are sisters. I used to follow him around, all the time. We spent many a weekend at the track' I smile as I remember the good times before Pierre entered the picture. I felt tears prick the corner of my eyes. God was I crying? I did not want to cry in front of Lando, he'd think I was pathetic.

Lando POV

As I listened to her talk about her cousin, I saw a shadow of a thought cross her face and tears appeared in the corner of eyes. I went to take her hand but she blinked and shook her head.

'I'm fine.... Sorry... a bad memory that's all'

Whoever he was he really did a number on her. I could see the pain in her eyes. Maybe she'll tell me about it one day, when she was ready.

Sienna POV

I could see the pity on his face as he looked at me. Urgh, why did Pierre still invade my thoughts. I had spent too much of my time crying over him and thinking about him all ready when he hadn't given a damn about me.

I shook my head again and stood up. 'Right, are we going back in for ice cream or are we going to sit out here all night'

'Ice cream, definitely the ice cream' he laughed. 'come on lets go' he grabbed my hand and pulled me back inside.