CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Wednesday 22nd March 2023

Lando POV

I'd spent the entire morning on the sim, but I just couldn't concentrate. I sigh as I leave the room and with my head bowed in frustration I walk to the cafeteria to grab some lunch. Before I get there Zak appears 'Lando, my office, now!'

I sit down in front of Zak and look out of the window behind him, avoiding his eyes.

He sighs deeply, 'Lando, what is going on with you? I know you and Sienna have split up but two P17 finishes, you're being hostile to Oscar when I thought you'd be stepping up to welcome him to the team, Charlotte tells me you're avoiding media duties as much as possible and I've not seen you smile or laugh for weeks. Normally I'm telling you off for giggling too much. I'm worried about you.'

I'm not sure where to start and I can feel tears start to prick my eyes. I can see the sympathy in his as he looks at me.

'Oh Lando, what's wrong? I can see something is upsetting you. Maybe I can help, a problem shared is a problem halved after all, isn't that what you Brits say?'

I actually give a small, hysterical, laugh and Zak gives me a worried look and my laugh turns to a sob. I hate that I'm sitting in front of my boss with tears running down my face. He treats me like a son but he is still my boss. He moves round to my side of the desk and puts his hand on my shoulder.

'Sienna cheated on me' I whisper.

Zak nods, waiting for me to continue.

'Before Christmas, I was doing some stuff for Quadrant and I flew home earlier than expected to surprise her' I pause trying to regain some composure as the memories of that morning come flooding back. My voice hitches as I say 'I caught her in bed with him, Zak'

'With who?'

'Oscar... I caught her in bed with Oscar' I can't contain my tears anymore and they flow freely down my face.

He gives me a tight bear hug, he doesn't say anything, I'm not sure what he can say. Nothing to make this better. Having to work closely with the guy that destroyed my life is torture. I probably should have told Zak sooner but saying it out loud.... That makes it real.

Sunday 2nd April 2023

Lando POV

I've had a fake smile on my face all morning and I'm exhausted. I make my way to my drivers room to escape the endless cameras being shoved in my face, if I hear anymore questions about my recent results being down to my breakup I will scream. I just want some peace and quiet before I have to get in the car. I inwardly groan as I open the door and come face to face with Leah, I'd completely forgotten that I asked her to meet me here for lunch. I don't know what I was thinking when I asked her to fly out for this race. Maybe I was still drunk at that point.

'Hey baby' she purred. I was really not in the mood for this but I stick the fake smile back on as I sat down beside her. Peace and quiet is overrated anyway.

'That's P6, mate, P6. What a great drive today. Well done'

I breathe a sigh of relief. My first points finish of the year, it was a good feeling.

'Hey babe, which dress do you think I should wear tonight' I hear Leah say from the bedroom.

'I don't really care' I mutter under my breath but I plaster a smile on my face and walk to the bathroom door. 'The black one'

I walk back into the bathroom to continue getting ready myself. Out of the corner of my eye I see Leah taking pictures of herself in both dresses, no doubt posting them to her social media to ask her followers what they thought. I sigh, how on earth did I end up in this situation. I mean she was a nice enough girl and all but we had nothing in common and she doesn't make my heart flutter. I grip the sink and take a deep breath, 'keep it together Norris'.