Silent summer night

TW for suicide attempt!!! moderately graphic!!

-------------

"Where the hell is Dazai, and what happened between him and that All for One bastard?" Chuuya demands, voice loud and clear, entering Mori's office almost rudely. "It's been a week since he left."

Mori smiles like it's a long gone joke, though he isn't worried in the slightest. This makes Chuuya falter. Should he really be questioning the boss of the Port Mafia, after he's worked so hard to protect the city? It could easily be one of Dazai's stunts, but -

But he knows that bastard better than anyone else. He knows something has happened; his friend Sakaguchi Ango has been labelled as a traitor to the Port Mafia and Oda Sakunosuke is dead.

"I had a feeling you'd ask. Let's sit. You wouldn't make this old man stand around, would you?" Mori says. He sits himself in the plush red armchair that he would frequently use, and gestures for Chuuya to drag another over.

He complies, easily, because this man is the same one whom he pledges his allegiance to, no matter how angry or confused he might be.

"I've been real suspicious about how that suicidal idiot managed to trick a 200-year-old megavillain." Chuuya crosses his arms tightly, the exact opposite stance of Mori, who looks almost amused.

"I never doubted Dazai's capability." Mori's eyes twinkle. "Garaki Kyudai. He's the only member of the League of Villains still alive, and unfortunately, the creator of what the public calls Nomu. Now... it would be about six years now, but Dazai had an encounter with him and All for One, which they seized guardianship of him for a while under the law's nose. They were fascinated by his ability. As you can imagine, it is rather rare. Garaki had begun blueprints to construct a prototype for this 'nomu' and was hoping to include Dazai in it." Mori pauses, watching Chuuya's scowl. He knows he shouldn't look like this in front of his boss.

"What did they do to him?" Chuuya asks, a frown tugging at his lips. He's unusually calm when hearing about this, but he listens to the events with a sick sense of curiosity and rage burning in the back of his mind.

It's an invasion of privacy, and Chuuya knows it, but Dazai already knows everything that happened to him. He'll deal with the consequences if he ever even sees him again.

"All sorts of experiments transpired, I assume. The man possessed a rather horrifying meticulous nature. The reason his right eye is covered is because of that duo." Mori shakes his head, perhaps in some sympathy - false or not. "Dazai escaped the place he was being kept the night All for One battled All Might. It had been about two months since I had last seen him, but I aided his escape, stealing all the information and recordings that Garaki had collected. I concluded that was one of their motives for setting up their factory in Yokohama - to get back at me. And Dazai, he was the perfect bait."

"If you knew from the beginning where the League was, sending Dazai and me away from the source seems counterproductive."

He shared a house with Dazai, drank himself stupid with him, cooked food with him. He had to then live alone in a completely unknown place to him for months.

"It does seem that way. I wasn't sure of everything when I first announced the mission, but I knew I had to lure the masterminds behind the group out anyway. Dazai sat in the spotlight at UA where he was untouched. All for One reached out to him as I predicted, and Dazai knew the two of them well enough from the time he spent with them and easily ensnared them into his mental spiderweb. I taught him everything I know, after all."

"Dazai seemed shocked though. Right after we killed him," Chuuya argues. Dazai was more shaken up than he'd almost ever seen him. His fingers trembled minutely yet he brandished his cunning nature on display for the world to see.