Part 14 | How mortal are we?

Changbin was quiet, leaning against the door as he stood. Jisung was on the bed, in a deep thought while Chan paced back and forth. Minho was wiping his tears, unable to stop them after seeing the maknae dead.

He was the younger brother Minho never had. They always fooled around like brothers do. It hurt him so much knowing that he could no longer make memories with him anymore.

"If every second is a minute... then Changbin has at least 5 hours left... and you have almost a day.." Chan muttered, looking at Minho who nodded while wiping his teary eyes.

The older sighed, sitting down next to Minho and placing his hands on his shoulder.

They all hated this.

Why did they all have to know when they were meeting their ends?

Most people would think it gives them time to prepare, but knowing when one will give out their final breath will always be scary, no matter how prepared you are. Because even if one miraculously knew when... no one would know how.

-

-

-

The night passes and everyone was asleep, except for Changbin. It was midnight, and Changbin walked out of the room without anyone knowing. He wasn't afraid, he really wasn't. Not anymore.

What was the use of being afraid anyway? this was a battle he'd never win.

He walked out of the company building, wearing a mask and a cap, walking in slow steps as his mind filled with the memories of the friends he had lost.

For a moment, he had even forgotten where he was walking or why he was even out in the first place, but he let his mind wander freely wherever it wanted.

It felt peaceful, at least, for a little while.

All of a sudden, he heard screaming above him. "watch out!" Someone screamed along with more others and he could only tilt his head up before multiple sharp metal poles fell onto him, going through him in many places; his arms, stomach, right side of his chest, his left thighs, and unfortunately even through his mouth.

He felt them everywhere except where his heart was and he felt the nerves inside him snapping as the poles pierce through him. His heart jolted due to internal bleeding and his organs were pani

Changbin closed his eyes, not having a spirit or an ounce of energy in him to let out even a single scream. His heart gradually stopped and the pain did as well as he sunk into the depths of no return.

-

-

-

Minho woke up feeling breathless and uneasy. He looked around the room and cursed when Changbin could not be seen.

He immediately picked up his phone and called the boy, standing up at the same time, forgetting that Jisung was sleeping on his shoulder.

Jisung groaned as he openned his eyes and immediately worry filled him up, knowing something was wrong.

He quickly nudged Chan to wake him up as well and watched how Minho paced back and forth in the room until he paused and talked into the phone.

"Hello, Changbin!?" They heard him say and then, silence.

A minute of silence.

Two minutes of silence.

Minho's phone slipped out of his grasp and fell down beside his feet. Seconds later he too fell down to his knees, right beside it.

Jisung was quick to go to his side, and so was Chan, wrapping the boy up in their warm arms.

It felt so scary, so cold.

Death itself was the worst villain, but the least mentioned one with such a title.

It was a villain... that can never be overpowered, never be beaten, and never truly escape from.

At least, not by us mortals.