Regulus

'Who would ever choose you?'

The words burned into Regulus's mind as he listened to what Barty and Leslie had to say. He knew he shouldn't. He knew it was wrong. But still he listened. Anger burning through him. The same anger he remembers feeling when he was just a first year, watching as his brother and Potter laughed.

The laughs were loud. Carefree. Regulus was never allowed to be carefree like that. Never was he given that right.

'Who would ever choose you?'

The words were snarled at him by a very angry Narcissa.

All he had suggested was that she spend more time with him, than with Malfoy. Her now husband. He missed her. She was for most of his life the only other family member that took any interest in him. He just wanted his friend.

Was it odd to think of your cousin as more of a friend than family? Probably. What did family feel like? Cold and bitter. Evan was never bitter to him. And Rabastan was never cold. Barty never ignored him. Narcissa used to never do these things. So she was a friend.

"I want to marry you one day."

Regulus almost snapped. What did he think he was doing? What would Leslie say? Of course, she would choose funny and charming Barty over bland Regulus. Who would ever choose him?

"Barty, you barely know me." Leslie laughed. What? "It's a very kind thing you said. You too are so very brilliant Barty, and you're ever so handsome. But I wouldn't marry you. Not now anyway. We've only just met." Regulus still burned with a deep rage, but hearing her decline him made him calm ever so slightly.

"Of course, of course. I didn't mean now. I just mean maybe one day? Maybe when we're in our 30s, watching the offspring of Rab, Reg, Evan and Greengrass-" Barty snickered, "then we'll get married and have one of our own."

Another flare of anger. Why? He did not know and he did not like that. "Barty-"

"Oh what am I kidding, you won't be unwed in your 30s, look at you you're perfect."

"Barty, I am not perfect."

Yes you are. Regulus thought. His steel gray eyes widening at his own thoughts.

"You're so kind Barty." What did he say? Shit, he must have missed it.

"I feel a weird connection to you, Leslie." Me too.

Stop.

"...me too." Her voice was faint, why? "I feel connected to all of you." You do? A smile grew onto his face.

"All of them?" Bartys voice was pinched and high.

"Yes, all of you. Evan is so sweet and so gentle. You make me laugh. Regulus is so quiet and so mysterious to me, I feel drawn to it. Rabastan, well he's a gentle giant."

She thought I was mysterious?

She thought of the others as something more than me.

'Who would ever choose you?'

Shut up Narcissa.

With that, Regulus quietly took his leave. He knew his eavesdropping was wrong. And he didn't want to hear anymore.