September 1st, 1978

September 1st rolled around, and Hermione found herself stressing out.

Dumbledore was going to make her be sorted in front of everyone, right before the first years. How could he submit her to this? Why couldn't she just have been put into Gryffindor.

He insisted that this needed to be done this way, after all she would need to be formally introduced to the students, so that she wasn't just a stranger that intruded on them.

Annoying.

Hermione sat in her bed, just a simple twin mattress on the floor. She didn't need anything more. Leaning back against the wall she looked through the packet she was given on her second day, about Leslie.

Leslie Victoria Gordon would turn 18 on the 23rd of September, not long after Hermione's 19th birthday. Or would it be her 19th birthday? Hermione wasn't sure. Did it even truly matter?

Looking at Leslie, Hermione wondered, did they pick her because she looked like Leslie, or did they pick Leslie because she looked like Hermione?

Both women had curly brown hair and large brown eyes, sun kissed skin and freckles. They did have the same nose, and according to Dumbledore, those must have come from Leslie's mother. One thing that isn't the same was the height, Hermione was 5 '6 while little Leslie came in at a height of only 5' 2.

Along with a description of Leslie there were descriptions of her grandparents, parents and siblings.

Lyall Henry Gordon, her paternal grandfather died at age 69, just last year, his wife Viktorya Nikolaevna Petrova

Her maternal grandfather was Bowman Truman, who died at age 60 alongside his wife, Elladora Maria, who was also 60. Elladora looked freakishly like Hermione's own mother. Yes, this was planned perfectly, she wondered how they did it so well.

Lyall Henry the second married Elizabeth Leslie Truman at age 17 and 18 respectively. Hermione was a bit shocked to find that Leslie's mother was a whole year and a half older than Lyall. She fell pregnant soon after and gave birth to their first child, Lyall, who to Hermione's dismay went by Harry.

That has to be a cruel joke.

Fucking Dumbledore.

Leonora married Stephen Rosier, the uncle of Death Eater Evan Rosier. She was 18 at the time of their marriage and he was in his 40s. A noticeable shiver went through Hermione. Both Leonora and Stephen died that night along with their one-year-old son, Bowman. Leonoras body was found embraced around her son.

Hermione felt tears prick her eyes, and yet she did not allow them to fall. There was no point in tears. She learned really quick that they did nothing.

Lilian was betrothed to Scabior Selwyn. She died before they could get married, the wedding was planned for the fall of '79, when both were of age. She was found dead in the living area of the family home; her body was mangled and almost unrecognizable.

Then there was little Lennon. He had just turned 10. He had a cracked skull, suspected brute force was used to murder the boy. Hermione felt the tears fall down her face as she looked at the little boy. He had large brown eyes and shaggy hair that fell in his face. In the picture he could be no older than 5. Dressed in a little suit.

So sweet. So innocent.

But that was war.

The innocent is always the first to go.

Hermione wondered where Leslie's body was. Albus brought up the possibility of them using Reducto on her. The idea was just too cruel.

But then again when had Death Eaters ever been known to be good?

Hermione found out that the Gordons homeschooled their children, and at age 18 introduced them to the world.

How full of yourselves to do something like that, she thought.

It was going to be awfully easy to pretend to be the late Leslie Gordon.

She hoped.

6 O'clock came and Hermione stood with the swarm of first years, how embarrassing. She felt like a giant next to them. She stayed by McGonagall as an attempt to hide herself. She could hear some of the children talking and asking questions.

"Excuse me." A little girl said, pulling on Hermione's robe. She looked down at the little girl, she had deep brown eyes and skin with deep black curls.
"Yes?" Hermione asked sweetly, giving the doe eyed girl a sweet smile.

"Can you help me tie my shoes?" She asked, looking down sheepishly.

Hermione gladly helped her tie her little shiny leather shoes; they had deleted thin black laces. Once her little shoes were helped Hermione smiled at her, and the girl smiled back largely.

"Thank you!" She said, "I'm Genevieve Spencer."

"Her- oops sorry, I'm Leslie Gordon."

Genevieve's large brown eyes widen some more, "Leslie Gordon? You've been all over the new papers, muggle and magical, did you know that?" She asked.

"No, I didn't know that Genevieve, I sorta figured I'd be all over the prophet." Hermione said.

"Yeah, you're kinda famous, you know for not dying." She said with a breathy, nervous laugh.

Before Hermione could answer her the large doors opened and the group moved forward. Hermione took a large breath and felt a tiny hand slip into hers.

She looked down and there was Genevieve smiling up at her as they walked.

Hermione could feel the eyes burning into the side of her head. It was worse than the Order meeting. Hermione's new little friend squeezed her hand, clearly feeling the stares herself.

The group of Students stopped near the front of the large room. Hermione took the time to look around.

That's when she met the gray eyes that reminded her of an old friend.

But it wasn't that old friend.

No, she had just seen him the other day.

This was someone else.

Regulus Black.